Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pre Season 8th Region Teams

Featured Replies

Collins was young last year so they should be improved. Their pitching and defense will have to get better but they have a few girls that can really hit the ball. Their ace may be 8th grade lefty Paige Oldham. She saw some varsity action last year as a 7th grader and even earned a few wins. They also have Freshman Hannah Renfro and Sophomore Kylie Truelock back in the circle.

 

I agree, Paige Oldham is an excellent pitcher. I wonder if the kid will ever stop growing!

"Few girls can really hit" - ROFL - Collins can crush the ball! Dee Lewis might as well take first 'cause I am not pitching to her!

We went 7 innings against this team last season. We had a comfortable lead going into the 6th only to have them put on a hitting clinic the bottom of the 6th & 7th.

29th District -North Oldham

Those in the area are excited for the return of pitcher, Sam Maiocco, c/o 2015. After suffering a season ending dis-located knee cap injury during the third game of the 2013 season, the team had to rally around the less-experienced pitcher Melissa Martineson and 7th grader Anna Maiocco for leadership on the mound. During the season, S. Maiocco stayed diligent on her PT and strength training. Summer came and Maiocco, along with Martineson contributed to the Louisville Stunners Elite 18U success. Along the way they added OF & slap hitting lefty Hannah Phillips (2016) from North to the Stunners roster. Martineson had a lot of time on the mound last season, worked on her game the entire off season and has generated interest from several D3 & NAIA schools during the summer. Maiocco has her sights set on Miami of Ohio. Both are very focused on the next level.

 

For 2014, N.O. will have a more competitive schedule than in years past. From what I hear from the 7th Region, "to be the best, you have to play the best"….

This years NOHS squad will be compiled of players from Stunners Elite 18U, Derby City Crush 18U & 14U along with Louisville Lady Sluggers. With (1) senior, (8) juniors, (2) sophomores (7) freshman & a handful of middle school players expected to compete for the 9 Varsity spots, the new staff is making it very clear the best 9 will take the field.

Pitching for the program is now 5 deep and will be supported by scoring on the big sticks of Dugan (Sr), Maiocco (Jr) & Martineson (Jr) and speed from Rohrbach (Jr) and Phillips (So). Coaches expect to bring in a lot of young players so watching this team progress this season will be fun.

 

Major emphasis for the new AD & coaching staff has been getting the facility back in shape, securing support & funds for lights, concession & restrooms. The new Athletic Director, Alan Yanke, has been a blessing to this program.

Player development in the middle school program will be key as well as keeping these girls from going to other schools in the area. Players like Adell & Parker who were in the North program were big losses in the past and several quality players like Young & Taylor who just quit the sport because of AD/Coaches/etc. Hard to imagine the challenges past coaches faced at this program.

I am pretty sure the team up North will earn some respect this season that will carry them to be a District threat and a top Region contender in 2015.

Shelby County will be very young but they have some talent on that team. Looks like they may start 3 middle school kids but all three are pretty good.Pitching is young with Savannah Smeaton and Sidney Wright (Sophomores). Name to watch out for is 7th grader Allyson Long who should play 1st base. She hits it very well and has power. Their young kids have been playing travel ball for years so playing against older girls is nothing new for them. If they can get consistent pitching they can compete in the 8th region

I would be real careful blaming "past AD/Coaches/etc." for N.O.'s problems.

 

The YOUNG girl quit because of "DADDY BALL". The parents have had way too much influence on the coaches at N.O. That's why they can't keep a coach more than two years. I understand the new staff may have the same problems due to the fact that they got the old coach fired and NEW coach hired. I'm not familiar with who the new coach is but from what I'm hearing he hasn't done a lot as a coach. Possibly his first year in High School ball? But you know how softball rumors can be way off base.

 

When Ballardstadt (?) coached that team they played good competition and won their district. I can't see where players on "C" level travel teams could ever get a team to compete against Oldham Co., South Oldham or Anderson Co. in the region. I would be hopeful that N.O. could at least contend for the 29th. I would say that FARBeyondDriven has a good handle on his predictions.

 

Glad to hear N.O. will finally get lights and a bathroom, much needed. It would be nice if they got a moving sidewalk to transport the elderly to and from the ball field.

It was not my intent to bash anyone; Simply promoting the positives. I am pretty sure each past coach had a different reason for leaving. From the list I seen, they had some good coaching over the years. The QUALITY players I mentioned to bring light to some of the talent that did come from the area.

The N.O. team has more players committed to softball year round. That wasn't the case in the past. Whether you feel a team is a "class c" :lol: or not, to me I am just happy they are playing travel ball during summer and fall.

There isn't a parent on the staff this season. Just a couple of friends full of energy with a common focus of getting young female athletes prepared for the next chapter in their lives. With a lil emphasis on softball.... :thumb:

 

Since I am new to this site, I will now assume posting here subjects me to responses like this.

Be sure to drop me a line if you will be in the area for a game, I will bring the gator and escort you to the field because moving sidewalks are as close to being put in as bathrooms. Lights hopefully next season...

People south of the 71/75 split sure have a hard time getting along!!

EarACHE: I didn't feel bashed.........Thanks though for considering my feelings. LOL

 

And I'm sorry, my intent wasn't to hurt any ones feelings as well. Don't wear your emotions on your sleeve, I should have used my sweet voice in the earlier post.

 

All I was trying to say is that an unproven coach and middle of the road talent will have a hard time competing against the big girls in the region. Anderson Co. will set the bar this year in the 8th. N.O. should be better this season. They just don't have any superstars yet. If you guys could have kept Adell and Parker, you probably could have won your district. "SWEET VOICE"

 

So are you saying that you will not have bathrooms? DAMN IT MAN !!!!!!!:poop:

:laugh: Sweet voice would have been much better... Also, I did wear my short sleeves today so my emotions have nothing to cling to. They may just slide right down to the keyboard along with my tears.

Maybe you can educate me on why South is predicted to be so much stronger. Anderson & OCHS are obvious, but I played against and watched SOHS last (early) season and didn't see the "big girl" reputation. (and if your a SOHS alumn, coach, parent - this was written using my sweet voice font)

From what I gather, you seem to know quite a bit about the 8th and the roster of NOHS as you attended games last season at NOHS; you don't think the return of Maiocco will change this squad? I only seen NOHS once last (late) season but have watched them through the fall. Not the same team as I seen end of season last year.

That un-proven coach has a decent 2014 schedule so I would expect the teams W/L record wont help him make it a second season. But, if he can get the, as you say "middle-of-the-road" players to compete, maybe - just maybe - NOHS can move from 14 on FarBeyondDriven's list to the top 5.

FYI - THERE ARE BATHROOMS! The little yellow VIP suites get delivered each season along with the portable concession stand.

:laugh:

Maybe you can educate me on why South is predicted to be so much stronger. but I played against and watched SOHS last (early) season and didn't see the "big girl" reputation.

 

That un-proven coach has a decent 2014 schedule so I would expect the teams W/L record wont help him make it a second season.

 

BIG Girls @ South: Galvan (Bat & Glove) Hemple (pitching) Leskody (bat & glove)

 

You do have a decent schedule this year if there have been no changes to the KHSAA 2014 schedule.

Playing

Sac. Hrt (25-11) last season

Eastern ( 29-9)

Ballard (29-11)

Male (25-15)

Manual (25-11)

 

Presentation X2 (12-15-1)

Whitefield Acad. (11-11-1)

CAL (14-22)

Assumption (14-19)

Henry Co (12-16)

Fern Creek (11-22)

J'Town (10-23)

Seneca (3-13)

Spencer Co. (2-30)

 

Your team should do well. We don't play you guys this season, but thanks for the RIDE offer.

Some folks get caught up in the W/L record and forget to look who the teams are losing to. Check out Fern Creek and Assumption schedule last season. Assumption beat Male for the 26th District Champ. I assumed CAL was also a tougher program than their record shows. I guess I have a little to learn about teams in this area.

But I do know D. Hempel very well.

 

Sac. Hrt (25-11) 27th District Champs

Eastern ( 29-9) 28th District Champs

Ballard (29-11)

Male (25-15)

Manual (25-11) 25th District Champs

 

*Missing from your list above...

Bullitt Central (20-8-0)

OCHS (35-7-1) x3 29th District Champs

Bullitt East (34-6-0) 24th District Champs

 

To play Anderson Co would be an hour drive... Maybe 2015 NOHS will be ready for the travel but this season they are staying close to home.

Sorry to hear you wont get to see us play this season. I think we are dropping two games, Bethlem and Presentation triangle on April 19th....

  • Author

Oldham County - I would say that they will be one of the top teams in the region again this year, although they graduated 7 seniors last year. They have 4 seniors this year with 5 starters returning. Two strong starting transfers and playing the toughest schedule in the region by far. That should get them ready again for their return to another state tournament appearance- third year in a row .

interesting...who does OC have as transfers? Either pitch?

Talked to a former 8th Region coach recently. He said that Carroll County Head Coach Dennis Hawkins feels that Carroll County will win the 31st District, win the 8th Region All A, and win the 8th Region this year. Anyone have any thoughts on this bold prediction?

Sounds like a typical coach with the beginning of the year high expectations. Hopefully almost every coach has that goal.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.