Male 59 Ballard 55

I don't remember exaclty what teams were in the Toyota Classic last year, but did Male have to play a top 5 team in the state the first game last year? This is somewhat of an inexperienced team. They really only have 2-3 guys on the team this year with varisty experience (Beaumont, Smallwood, Herman). They have only played somewhere around 18 games where most other teams have played 23-26 games this year. The young guys seem to get better as the year goes on.

Last year, Male beat Clark County and then dominated a strong Henry Clay (31-4) team before losing to Scott County in the final. I thought last year's Male team had great inside/outside balance and was surprised they didn't make it to Rupp Arena. Of course, the seventh region last year was totally loaded.

As you say, this year's edition is young and I have seen them twice and did not come away impressed. I thought Smallwood would be a dominate player and I saw him playing a non-assertive role. I am sure the seventh region is not as strong this year as last year. They are not a Sweet Sixteen club, in my opinion.

Smallwood is playing his best as of late. He went for 21 against St.X, and 22 against Ballard. He is showing he is the leader for Male and is a serious favorite for player of the year in the 7th region. I seriously doubt Clark Co. last year was as good as E-Town this year. Plus they were much more experienced with Gravelle at the 2-guard last year. They have now moved Beaumont to the 2 and have Corey Gainey at the PG. He is good but not a scorer. Where last year Gravelle and Beaumont were able to go to the hoop and score.