Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands CupCake Classic

Featured Replies

Does anyone know who is playing in this jv tourney & who is favored to win? Not much talk about jv teams but I think they are just as important & crucial to a program!!!

NDA JV team not participating.

CAMPBELL COUNTY CONNER

BEECHWOOD DAYTON

BOONE COUNTY TATES CREEK

BISHOP BROSSART SCOTT

SIMON KENTON WALTON VERONA

HOLY CROSS HIGHLANDS

 

I don't know enough about JV volleyball to predict a favorite.

Highlands beat Tates Creek in the final to win the Cupcake.

Highlands beat Tates Creek in the final to win the Cupcake.

 

Great job Birds! I watched their first match as they beat Walton. Highlands has a very good young team and seem to have all the pieces. They'll be exciting to watch the next couple of years!

  • Author
Highlands beat Tates Creek in the final to win the Cupcake.

Congrats Lady Birds!! They looked good in the SK game I watched. What I noticed most from the JV tourney is a lot of these teams seemed to be mostly made up of freshmen players. A couple teams I saw that were older girls were Boone Co and SK. It also seemed like most of the players are also NKJV players. Glad to see so many young & talent players on the court!!!

Walton Verona lost its first two games in pool play to Highlands and Holy Cross, then bounced back with consecutive wins over Simon Kenton, Holy Cross, and Brossart to go on and win the Silver bracket.

I agree with what raen21 said. Lots of freshmen playing and in some cases 8th graders. I would think that doing well in these kinds of tournaments despite having a young team bodes well for these schools in the future.

 

Two others things that I noticed in this tournament:

 

1. Possibly the worst volleyball ref-ing I have seen this year (or last year for that matter). It was bad in both the junior high and high school gyms. Next year Highlands needs to get some better refs to do their tournaments and home games. Refs who know the current rules of volleyball are a must. Also, refs who knows the correct hand signals would be good. I could comment further about this topic, but I'll just leave it at that.

 

2. Highlands played with a lot of energy in every match I saw them play in the tournament. Congrats to the girls and their coach.

There were some questionable calls. But that happens at every sporting event

I sat next to one beechwood parent that was convinced that the officials were biased against their team.

So much so that other beechwood parents commented about her after. It wasn't flattering.

  • Author

The bad reffing didn't shock me since I was at the Cake Classic where it was also horrible!! I saw all the Beechwood games at the middle school & honestly didn't see bad calls against Beechwood!! I did see one against Conner when a Conner player pancaked a ball & the ref blew whistle before ball was down. The down ref corrected him & it was replayed. The refs on that court called a lot on net & lifts but nothing bad. I did however see a lot of disagreeing between refs. Just part of the game!!! Kudos to Highlands for overcoming all of that & winning!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.