Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2013 NKY volleyball forecast

Featured Replies

Region 10: The region is not loaded with strong teams and is up for grabs. Campbell Co made a nice run last year at State and they are my pick to repeat as Region 10 champs. I don't really see anyone else making any noise, maybe Scott?

 

Region 9: This is a strong competitive region, loaded with good teams. I would say the 5th best team in R9 could beat the best team in R10 and for that matter, the majority of the other regions around the state.

 

The top 2:

 

Notre Dame: on paper, they should beat everyone. 3 D1 commits, with probably 7 more coming up in the pipeline. It will come down to team chemistry. If they get some, look out.

 

Ryle: they have experience, skill, and their own group of D1 commits. Make no mistake, the game of the year in NKY will be early this year - Ryle at ND on Sept 12th (sorry St. Henry but your run as top challenger is over)

 

The next 3:

 

Holy Cross - good solid team. May surprise some people. Will beat NCC and St. Henry, but not ND or Ryle.

 

St. Henry - will still be good enough to win most matches, but is rebuilding after losing 2 superstars that carried the program for 4 years. I have them losing to HC, Ryle, and ND.

 

NCC - same boat - rebuilding, but better than the rest. Will lose to St. Henry, HC, Ryle, and ND.

 

The rest:

 

There is a monumental gap between the top 2 teams, ND and Ryle, and the rest. Every year I think huge schools like Boone Co, Cooper, and Conner will jump up and surprise and nothing happens. I don't see Beechwood making any noise.

 

The bottom line: More of the same. The 4 best teams in the state will be ND, Assumption, Mercy, and Sacred Heart. Who wins State depends on the tournament draw. No public school will ever win a KY State Championship under the current system and rules. If one manages to make it to the Championship, it's due to luck of the draw and not having to play one of these 4 along the way.

Regarding the 9th Region, I can't argue with your top two teams. My personal feeling is that 3, 4, and 5 are not so clear. I don't remember seeing anything from Holy Cross last year that would lead me to believe they are better than NCC and St. Henry this year. I would probably rank St. Henry #3 and then group Holy Cross, NCC, Beechwood and the other three Boone County schools together. The advantage will go to the team who brings their "A" game that particular night.

 

I'm not sure what you mean by "...under the current system and rules”. If you mean that currently the state tournament is an all-in system, I don't think that has as much bearing as the fact that NDA, Assumption, Mercy and Sacred Heart pull from areas of the Commonwealth with very good club systems. Since parochial schools start volleyball in third grade, they will naturally be the ones that gravitate to club volleyball. I guess what I am saying is that high enrollment doesn't guarantee strong sports programs. It helps a great deal but it's not a guarantee.

 

If I am misinterpreting, forget my last paragraph.

  • Author

What I meant by Current system and rules...no classes means for the most part no small school is going to ever win....also no limit on number of players from same club. For example, Ohio limits HS teams to 3 players from same club team, which means the talent gets spread around more in club and avoids a situation like Assumption where one club team overwhelmingly feeds the school program. You tend to get real good real fast when the same team can play together in both school and club, that can't happen in other states.

 

U ask me why Holy Cross, I would say why Beechwood? Small school with hardly any top club players. Holy Cross has experience and size ... Should handle most teams easily.

BigSale welcome to BGP. Great first post. Agree with all

Notre Dame: on paper, they should beat everyone. 3 D1 commits, with probably 7 more coming up in the pipeline. It will come down to team chemistry. If they get some, look out.

 

R.

 

Why wouldn't they have team chemistry?

  • Author
Why wouldn't they have team chemistry?

 

Unknown, I would say the usual reasons. I believe team chemistry matters more in volleyball than any other sport. It's the kind of thing that is hard to describe but u know it when u see it... And we'll find out soon who has it and who doesn't.

  • Author
What about the 8th region?

 

I would say the usual there - North or South Oldham at the top, take your pick. I'll give the nod to South. As for the rest.. I don't see any surprises this year.

I believe that Conner will surprise teams this year, especially with the new coaching staff. They beat NCC, Scott, Boone, Bishop, Campbell Co, Holy Cross & Highlands last year. They played very close games with Cooper & Beechwood. Ryle & Cooper shouldn't overlook or take them lightly this year!!!!

What I meant by Current system and rules...no classes means for the most part no small school is going to ever win....also no limit on number of players from same club. For example, Ohio limits HS teams to 3 players from same club team, which means the talent gets spread around more in club and avoids a situation like Assumption where one club team overwhelmingly feeds the school program. You tend to get real good real fast when the same team can play together in both school and club, that can't happen in other states.

 

U ask me why Holy Cross, I would say why Beechwood? Small school with hardly any top club players. Holy Cross has experience and size ... Should handle most teams easily.

I understand the problem with small schools, but this is true in basketball also. Agree it isn't right but it won't change in my opinion. As to more kids playing on a club team, why can't other high schools do the same thing? Why couldn't all the kids from Ryle, or any other high school, play on the same club team and accomplish the same thing?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.