Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Overall who has the best defense in NKY.. Position by position

Featured Replies

I guarantee I've seen him play more than you and when he was younger yes, maybe he didn't have the arm for shortstop. But that's not the issue now. Ryle's coaches will have to figure their best lineup and if they have another good shortstop then outfield may be where they need Mason the most. But he's good enough to play either spot.

He has a nice bat, but SS is not a position for him. His arm strength is an issue there.

 

I have to agree with Bluetip on this one. I've seen him play for about a decade now and OF was his primary position and there were a couple reasons behind it. 1. his speed, he's always been very fast and could cover a lot of ground. 2. For awhile his dad coached him and unlike many dad coaches who want to spotlight their sons, his dad never wanted to show favoritism so actually didn't play him at SS when he could of very well played that position back then.

 

He's always pitched also and his arm strength was never a concern that I know of.

 

Either way, he's a kid I'd love to have on my team anytime. Great defensive player and great bat along with great speed. He is the total player in my opinion...although I used to love his long hair he used to have lol

Here's a video of Forbes working out with the Florence Freedom Pro's at SS

 

As I said earlier, he can play just about anywhere I think and as long as Ryle has him in their lineup they can't go wrong.

 

 

My favorite defensive player is Jared Blank and I'd take Jared and Mason Forbes playing 2nd and SS as my combo anytime. Jared at SS and Mason at 2nd or vice versa.

I have to agree with Bluetip on this one. I've seen him play for about a decade now and OF was his primary position and there were a couple reasons behind it. 1. his speed, he's always been very fast and could cover a lot of ground. 2. For awhile his dad coached him and unlike many dad coaches who want to spotlight their sons, his dad never wanted to show favoritism so actually didn't play him at SS when he could of very well played that position back then.

 

He's always pitched also and his arm strength was never a concern that I know of.

 

Either way, he's a kid I'd love to have on my team anytime. Great defensive player and great bat along with great speed. He is the total player in my opinion...although I used to love his long hair he used to have lol

 

Has he ever played SS for Ryle?

I guarantee I've seen him play more than you and when he was younger yes, maybe he didn't have the arm for shortstop. But that's not the issue now. Ryle's coaches will have to figure their best lineup and if they have another good shortstop then outfield may be where they need Mason the most. But he's good enough to play either spot.

Take a chill pill dude geez! I've watched the kid play since he was 11 just an opinion I have. I will stick to my OPINION, he's a better outfielder than a short stop. Has he played SS for Ryle?

Take a chill pill dude geez! I've watched the kid play since he was 11 just an opinion I have. I will stick to my OPINION, he's a better outfielder than a short stop. Has he played SS for Ryle?

 

But that wasn't your opinion in your original post....

 

"He has a nice bat, but SS is not a position for him. His arm strength is an issue there."

 

Your opinion was he can't play short because of his arm. So stop with the red herring that 'he's a better outfielder". If that was your original thought you should have posted it.

But that wasn't your opinion in your original post....

 

"He has a nice bat, but SS is not a position for him. His arm strength is an issue there."

 

Your opinion was he can't play short because of his arm. So stop with the red herring that 'he's a better outfielder". If that was your original thought you should have posted it.

 

Has he played SS for Ryle was my question? Maybe, the arm strength was not the appropriate term to use. So, I will leave it at this, he's a heck of a ball player, but from watching him, I think he's a better outfielder than a SS. He covers alot of ground and makes outstanding catches.

Edited by truthbtold

He hasn't played varsity until this year. Like I said earlier Ryle has been very deep and has been a numbers game. Are you saying he can't play SS?

I think he can play anywhere. He's that good of a ball player.

He hasn't played varsity until this year. Like I said earlier Ryle has been very deep and has been a numbers game. Are you saying he can't play SS?

 

I'm not saying he can't play SS..I just think his best position is outfield that's it.

I'm not saying he can't play SS..I just think his best position is outfield that's it.

He is a very good OF, his speed allows him to cover a lot of ground.

You are right there.

He is a very good OF, his speed allows him to cover a lot of ground.

You are right there.

 

Seems to me that folks in this forum are taking their ill comments on a players abilities a little too far and are a little too short sighted in the their evaluations and overlook the scope of excellent regional players out there.

Before you say " what does someone from Cincinnati know about Kentucky High School sports ?", I spent 15 years in Florence/Union putting two daughters through Ryle and seeing them off to UK.... I spent many a day watching G-Wags and Humph turn double plays and Vince hit the crap out of the ball while watching the boys of the class of 2014 play.

What I can say , without equivocation , is that Cincinnati Baseball trumps anything in the greater cincinnati. With that said, Defensively, Ryle will be hands down the best team in NKy. Their outfield of Clarkson, Baumann, and Forbes will be one of the best in the city.

Blazing speed, and strong arms will rule. Personally, I would forego the " underclassman have to wait their turn " and start downs and Forbes up the middle and T.Mason in left.

As for Greater Cincinnati Infielders, Mahan & Proia at Moeller, Martin ( hurt, but still committed to KSU today ) & Mcvey at Mason, Davis from CHCA, Varner from Turpin, Minton & Walker from Milford, Richmond from Oak Hills,Beckner from Lebanon, Rieman & Nichting from Badin, Deleat & Elam from Lakota East are all ready to jump to the next Level.

Clarkson ( Hey E ), Baumann, Plvan, and Forbes will make waves at the next level.

MO and Klein ( coming back from injury ) from Boone will have break out years.

NewCath, with its seniors, is the best east of the Licking and may have highest team BA at the end of the year. Don't sleep on the boys from Campbell County though.

Suchanek, Shreiver, Ward, Cain are all major D1 players. Dunn and Verst will dominate when their spot in the rotation comes. Norton should learn French ((( Hello Toronto )))). See Ya after Graduation. Nick King , from Dixie, is and always has been an interesting follow.

 

91 % +/- of Ohio class of 2013 have committed to 36 % of Kentucky class of 2013.

2014 sampling is smaller to date but its 15% to 8% respectively.

 

Can't wait for the season to start.

If Cooper is moving Dunn to 3B from SS like I read on here, then between him and Setser, which I feel is a very solid 1B, would make them a pretty solid combo. I've seen a lot of these kids from this area play in the summer and that seems to be where I have seen Dunn the most and he looked more natural there compared to SS. Not knocking him at that postion, he just looked very unsure of himself the game I had seen.

Seems to me that folks in this forum are taking their ill comments on a players abilities a little too far and are a little too short sighted in the their evaluations and overlook the scope of excellent regional players out there.

Did I miss something? Don't think anyone was talking bad about anyone.

Mason Forbes has always been an excellent ballplayer, but until he turned 16 or so, his arm was weak and his throwing motion flawed. As he entered high school, he corrected the problem through arm strengthening and throwing exercises. When Mason showed up for his summer team winter workouts last winter, he amazed his teammates and coaches with his newfound arm strength. He asked to pitch and again shocked everyone with his 80 mph fastball and command. While his weak arm had previously limited him to 2B, his summer team coaches mostly played him in the OF, but also gave him some reps at SS. Mason also showed his incredible work ethic by continuing to work out with Freedom SS Junior Arrojo last summer to improve his footwork as an infielder. Arm strength is no longer an issue. Mason is now a legit 5-tool player with the ability to play infield or outfield in high school and beyond.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.