LAX split news?

I know that Kentucky Lacrosse Association had a split among this summer after disagreement on how to structure. The Louisville metro area was fully breaking from the rest of the state.

I also heard Louisville Metro teams were starting their own league.

Would love to see more info on it, if anyone can share.

• 1 month later...

As if last week the KLA was still looking for input. It would appear they Louisville metro wants to stay in Louisville. I don't think it is good for Ky Lax. I think they should just stick to last years format, most of the Louisville teams were in D1 anyway. We all know they are the dominant force in Ky lax, but circling the wagons and shutting out the rest of Ky does nothing for Ky lax. JMHO

I heard the remaining teams decided to stay with KLA and run their league with KLA input. The report I got was the coaches decided that there would be just one division of 16 teams. Teams were divided somewhat based on laxpower ratings and geography. Of the top 4 laxpower rated teams, 2 were placed in each district. Teams are required to play each team in their district once and then can schedule anyone else they want including the Metro teams.

North

LexCath

Dunbar

Cov Cath

NKY

Lafayette

Dixie

Scott County

Lex Christian

South

Tates Creek

Sayre

Greenwood

Henry Clay

Woodford County

Bryan Station

Glasgow

Anderson County

Looks like they did a decent job dividing the teams based on laxpower. Of the top 8 teams from 2012, there are 4 in each district. I don't know what the districts will be called but did so based on the northern and southern components seemed to be one of the dividing characteristics.

As if last week the KLA was still looking for input. It would appear they Louisville metro wants to stay in Louisville. I don't think it is good for Ky Lax. I think they should just stick to last years format, most of the Louisville teams were in D1 anyway. We all know they are the dominant force in Ky lax, but circling the wagons and shutting out the rest of Ky does nothing for Ky lax. JMHO

Louisville wanted 8 teams in D1. And wanted to use last years LAXPower rating to determine who the schools were from the Lexington area that had to play D1.

LexCath go the short end of this arrangement this past season. TC would have in 2013. Had Louisville just made D1 6 teams things probably would have worked out.

Louisville has the elites. But Lexington has the univeral appeal now. Every high school in Fayette County and many of the outlying counties now have lacrosse. Growing the sport 'downward' is the next challenge for the area. Louisville has the depth with great youth programs. But it filters into only a few schools.

Louisville wanted 8 teams in D1. And wanted to use last years LAXPower rating to determine who the schools were from the Lexington area that had to play D1.

LexCath go the short end of this arrangement this past season. TC would have in 2013. Had Louisville just made D1 6 teams things probably would have worked out.

Louisville has the elites. But Lexington has the univeral appeal now. Every high school in Fayette County and many of the outlying counties now have lacrosse. Growing the sport 'downward' is the next challenge for the area. Louisville has the depth with great youth programs. But it filters into only a few schools.

Betcha Tates Creek was happy they didn't have to go play with the big boys in 2013. Wouldn't be able to run it up on the top teams over there.

Betcha Tates Creek was happy they didn't have to go play with the big boys in 2013. Wouldn't be able to run it up on the top teams over there.

Probably so. The structure and methodology advocated by the 'big boys' was not at all productive. They have their top teams and local feeder system. But their interests are clearly only within the borders of Jefferson County.

The Bluegrass area needs better youth programs, when that happens the Bluegrass schools will be at a level with the Louisville schools (the few that have lacrosse programs).

I agree bluegrasscard, the key tp Ky kax is getting youth leagues co ordinated with schools and feeders to high school. It is hard to tricky down from High schools that are not receptive to expand their sports programs. That has been the biggest set back for Nor. Ky lax. hard to break down old line thinking from AD's who have too much on the plate now or just are not forward thinking.

Just heard the proposed setup of the remaining KY teams may not be final. Some coaches complained to KLA and they will discuss at their meeting on 10/16. 2 divisions still possible.

Tates would not likely be in the Metro league because they would need to have enough teams to form their own district (3), but maybe some other are thinking about it also. TheyAnother issue would be end of season tournament. I would assume the two tournament are happening at the same time. would make it difficult to compete in both tournaments. Any team can however play any team from the metro league they want.

• 2 weeks later...

LAX in KY does not need controversy, they solidarity, if we want to continue the growth of the sport within the state.

AD's across the state will be less likely to consider adding LAX to their programs if the other teams across the state can't work together.

• 2 months later...