Sluggerfest

Porky

Sluggerfest for 16U and 18U is this weekend at Rivershore. It would be nice to see this tournament build back up to where it once was. Anyone know the total number of teams participating this year? Who is playing in it from KY and when and what time do they play, local teams and players? Any favorites to win this tournament? Hope to hear some updates as the tournament goes on.

U16

1. Kentucky Softball Club (paid)

2. Louisville Lady Sluggers (Paid)

3. Renegades, Pittsburg PA (Paid)

4 Kentucky Explosion

5. West Side Thunder (paid)

6. Cincy Magic 16U

7. Columbus Phoenix (paid)

8. EMR

9. OFC Heat (paid)

10. Central Kentucky Slammers (paid)

11. Ohio Hawks (Lauer)

12. Lady Mustangs

U18

1. Hot Shots

2. Cincinnati RBI (Paid)

3. Columbus Phoenix (paid)

4. Madco, Richmond, KY

5. Lady Wizards

6. Cincy Static 97

7. Bluegrass Blaze

8. Kentucky Outlaws

Field is way down from years past but there are still some real nice teams. Might be worth the trip to check out some ball.

It would be nice to see some HS coaches that are not involved in travel ball stop by and check out some games.

U16

1. Kentucky Softball Club (paid)

2. Louisville Lady Sluggers (Paid)

3. Renegades, Pittsburg PA (Paid)

4 Kentucky Explosion

5. West Side Thunder (paid)

6. Cincy Magic 16U

7. Columbus Phoenix (paid)

8. EMR

9. OFC Heat (paid)

10. Central Kentucky Slammers (paid)

11. Ohio Hawks (Lauer)

12. Lady Mustangs

U18

1. Hot Shots

2. Cincinnati RBI (Paid)

3. Columbus Phoenix (paid)

4. Madco, Richmond, KY

5. Lady Wizards

6. Cincy Static 97

7. Bluegrass Blaze

8. Kentucky Outlaws

Field is way down from years past but there are still some real nice teams. Might be worth the trip to check out some ball.

It would be nice to see some HS coaches that are not involved in travel ball stop by and check out some games.

Thanks SSC. Hope to see this tournament continue to grow and stay as a large local tournament. I would have to say in the 16U division that the Louisville Lady Sluggers, Pittsburg Renegades, EMR, Heat, Central Kentucky Slammers, and Hawks would be the among the favorites. Not sure about the Columbus Phoenix this year. In the 18U division I would go with the Bluegrass Blaze. Any thoughts?

I am really only familer with the Sluggers, Would be surprised if they didn't win it. A little surpised they didn't play in the 18U division for better compeition.

I would agree. I just mentioned the teams that I thought would be the stronger teams in the tournament. However, I would not count out the Renegades, EMR, or the Slammers from winning it. They would have to play their best against the Sluggers but I know the PA Renegades are tyoically a very good team and EMR and the Slammers are both excellent teams as well. Should be a great local tournament.

I am really only familer with the Sluggers, Would be surprised if they didn't win it. A little surpised they didn't play in the 18U division for better compeition.

Should be better competition for the Sluggers in the 16's. Not familiar with the KY teams that are in this but the 18U Ohio teams entered are second tier at best. The better 18U Ohio teams are in Zanesville this weekend for ASA States. The 16's have a team or two that might challenge them.

Should be better competition for the Sluggers in the 16's. Not familiar with the KY teams that are in this but the 18U Ohio teams entered are second tier at best. The better 18U Ohio teams are in Zanesville this weekend for ASA States. The 16's have a team or two that might challenge them.

You very well may be right, still don't seeing them being challanged to much.

SSC, I've always thought that the 16U division is the better division. Most but not all of the 18U players are either Freshmen or Sophomores to be in college and unless it is the very highest level the local teams have a lot of trouble fielding teams with reliable players.

SSC, I've always thought that the 16U division is the better division. Most but not all of the 18U players are either Freshmen or Sophomores to be in college and unless it is the very highest level the local teams have a lot of trouble fielding teams with reliable players.

Depends I guess I would say most 18U teams are better than most 16U teams, We were lucky enough to do well in a Gold tournament this past week that was mainly 18U gold teams.

I guess it just depends on which tournaments you play in. Most D1 recruiting is done now a days at the 16U and 14U level but you still see a ton of coaches at the big Gold and Premier tourney's.

Depends I guess I would say most 18U teams are better than most 16U teams, We were lucky enough to do well in a Gold tournament this past week that was mainly 18U gold teams.

I guess it just depends on which tournaments you play in. Most D1 recruiting is done now a days at the 16U and 14U level but you still see a ton of coaches at the big Gold and Premier tourney's.

For approximately 99.9% of the girls playing softball in Kentucky, when Div. 1 recruiting is being done is insignificant. Your daughter is the exception, not the rule. I am guessing that only your daughter and Allen signed to play college softball before their Senior year. There are many, many girls playing college softball from this area and only a couple at the D-1 level.

KY Xplosion lost 6-5 to Cincy Magic on Friday, won 9-0 over Columbus Phoenix, won 20-0 (3 innings) over Lady Mustangs, won 9-1 over OFC Heat, & lost 6-5 to EMR on Saturday. 1st game in losers bracket, Sunday at 9:45. By the way, Lady Mustangs, not Brossart.:lol:

Been at the ball park since 7:15 this morning. I'm takin' a shower and hittin' the pillow, see ya.:isurrender:

KY Xplosion lost 6-5 to Cincy Magic on Friday, won 9-0 over Columbus Phoenix, won 20-0 (3 innings) over Lady Mustangs, won 9-1 over OFC Heat, & lost 6-5 to EMR on Saturday. 1st game in losers bracket, Sunday at 9:45. By the way, Lady Mustangs, not Brossart.:lol:

Been at the ball park since 7:15 this morning. I'm takin' a shower and hittin' the pillow, see ya.:isurrender:

Sounds like the Xplosion had a nice day, congrats.

I heard the Sluggers rolled Saturday and then had to leave for CO. No disrespect to any of the teams but I think the Sluggers are just on another level than the rest of the field.

For approximately 99.9% of the girls playing softball in Kentucky, when Div. 1 recruiting is being done is insignificant. Your daughter is the exception, not the rule. I am guessing that only your daughter and Allen signed to play college softball before their Senior year. There are many, many girls playing college softball from this area and only a couple at the D-1 level.

You can't sign before your senior year you can only verbal before that. I understand what you are saying. I get that most D2, D3, NAIA and juco schools really don't start looking at girls before the summer of their senior years. Most those girls would have to play 18U at that point I would think.

I would also agree that most girls won't play D1 ball but there are a lot more girls out there that would have a chance if they played on better teams and did things to put themselfs in front of coaches. We have had several girls in this area this year alone that probably could have went to a higher school or got more money to a school if they would have put them self in a better situation.

To go back to the orginal comment about is 16U better than 18U, I would still say no, my daughter is very young for her grade, she is only a couple weeks from being a junior instead of a senior she has been playing in 16u and 18u events for several years now. I would think the compeition is better at 18U, and in all those years I am not sure we have faced a girl that is already in college. That being said we haven't played a game in KY since 13U so things may be different around here.

Thanks SSC. Hope to see this tournament continue to grow and stay as a large local tournament. I would have to say in the 16U division that the Louisville Lady Sluggers, Pittsburg Renegades, EMR, Heat, Central Kentucky Slammers, and Hawks would be the among the favorites. Not sure about the Columbus Phoenix this year. In the 18U division I would go with the Bluegrass Blaze. Any thoughts?

Porky I would also like to see this tournament grow but I feel like its past it's prime. Unless a major org takes it over like the Sluggers or the Doom I would say its all but done as far as a college showcase goes. Lawnboy or someone else could answer better than I bc I wasn't there but I would be surprised if any coaches from any level was there.

Here is a link to the college coaches that attended the 2011 Louisville Slugger Boulder Independence day tourney last year. It list 382 coaches that signed in from 270 colleges.

http://www.bouldersoftball.org/2011_Coaches_Attending.pdf

There are 3 tourney's going on in CO this week, I think the list above is just for the coaches that signed into the Boulder tourney which is said to be the best of the 3. Either way I am sure most coaches bounced around between all 3 touney's.

I know the Sluggers and the NKY Bandits are going out this week. Hopefully all the girls get some good looks.