Seniors

SSC

I wanted to give a shout out to Holy Cross's lone senior for the 2012 season. Leah Volphein (sp?) Leah has been a 5 year starter for HC and been part of the main group of girls that started playing softball for HC as it switched from slow pitch to fast. Most the girls at HC were against the switch so it was not an easy decision for some girls to play.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for girls like Leah. She has never been a "star" or a girl that gets her name in the paper but always shows up and works hard. Leah has played volleyball, basketball, and softball for 4 years. So she has had very little time off during her HS career and HC is a better place bc of her!!

We all here stories of the Ginn's, Salzer's, Moran's and Smith et all, and they deserve the credit but HS sports wouldn't be the same with out girls like Leah. Leah isn't going to go to school to play sports but my guess is she will be very successfully in life. Best of luck to her.

I would love to hear stories of other seniors that we may not be familar with.

I think this is a great thread to give a "shout out" to all the seniors on each team that we don't hear about on a regular basis.

I would like to recognize 3 seniors from NewCath, Kelsey Feeback, Hannah Jones, & Allison Steffen. Of the 6 seniors on this years team these three young ladies exemplify what it means to be "team players". They came into the program in it's 2nd year with ZERO fastpitch experience. They were not the best hitters, they didn't have great arms, and they didn't run like a deer but they made up for that with always giving "THEIR BEST". They did not "bitch or whine", they simply went out and gave it their all. Especially this season where two of the three see very limited time playing and one sees just about none, for the simple fact that 4 freshman are better. Sometimes a sense of "entitlement" can disrupt a team because players think that since thay are seniors they should be starting, although I will say some parents see it that way, but these girls understand that there are players better than they are. There are times I would rather have a team full of girls that do not possess the talent, but give 100%, then to have talent but have to deal with attitudes and laziness. I wish these three all the best in the future, as well as, all the seniors who fit into this category.

I wanted to give a shout out to Holy Cross's lone senior for the 2012 season. Leah Volphein (sp?) Leah has been a 5 year starter for HC and been part of the main group of girls that started playing softball for HC as it switched from slow pitch to fast. Most the girls at HC were against the switch so it was not an easy decision for some girls to play.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for girls like Leah. She has never been a "star" or a girl that gets her name in the paper but always shows up and works hard. Leah has played volleyball, basketball, and softball for 4 years. So she has had very little time off during her HS career and HC is a better place bc of her!!

We all here stories of the Ginn's, Salzer's, Moran's and Smith et all, and they deserve the credit but HS sports wouldn't be the same with out girls like Leah. Leah isn't going to go to school to play sports but my guess is she will be very successfully in life. Best of luck to her.

I would love to hear stories of other seniors that we may not be familar with.

Very well said SSC. Leah has been that way, since I saw her play her first games at around 6 or 7. Whether it was softball, basketball, or volleyball you knew that she was giving her best effort. She is a great kid and comes from a very good family. Her work ethic and competive spirit makes you proud to have known her. Thanks for reminding all of us about the kids like Leah who make the game fun just to be around it.

I also would like to give a special shout out to my daughter. I always try to stay clear of writing things about her on here but this is the perfect time to do it.

She has played for HHS now for 7 seasons. Its funny i remember after one game her 6th grade year after a JV game walking up the hill from death valley and her telling me "dad if they aren't going to play why am i here?" Had to think about that one for a minute before i answered her and then said" Brooke you are a 6th grader what else do you want you are on a team full of 9th and 10th graders". She says well i want to play if i wasn't good enough to play then cut me just don't have me on the bench. I loved the desirer from her to always want to work hard and be the best she can. She has done that the last seven years for the birds. Has played every infield position and even some out field when needed.

With her being the only senior on the team this year its been tough and a hard up and down year for them. But on Fri at Dixie on there senior night she showed her true leadership and to the other younger girls how hard work and dedication pays off by beating them 5-4 in 9 innings.

We will miss the birds program but am looking forward to her next chapter starting at Asbury next year and can only hope that she continues to work hard and have fun.

To all the BGP people out there who always try to read my crazy post i count you all as friends and will miss you all as well. I will be back on here posting again but not for another 5 years in the football thread so if you need a good laugh just look there.

To Brooke who i know is reading this Dad loves you and I am very proud of you.

Edited by ABC2

I also would like to give a special shout out to my daughter. I always try to stay clear of writing things about her on here but this is the perfect time to do it.

She has played for HHS now for 7 seasons. Its funny i remember after one game her 6th grade year after a JV game walking up the hill from death valley and her telling me "dad if they aren't going to play why am i here?" Had to think about that one for a minute before i answered her and then said" Brooke you are a 6th grader what else do you want you are on a team full of 9th and 10th graders". She says well i want to play if i wasn't good enough to play then cut me just don't have me on the bench. I loved the desirer from her to always want to work hard and be the best she can. She has done that the last seven years for the birds. Has played every infield position and even some out field when needed.

With her being the only senior on the team this year its been tough and a hard up and down year for them. But on Fri at Dixie on there senior night she showed her true leadership and to the other younger girls how hard work and dedication pays off by beating them 5-4 in 9 innings.

We will miss the birds program but am looking forward to her next chapter starting at Asbury next year and can only hope that she continues to work hard and have fun.

To all the BGP people out there who always try to read my crazy post i count you all as friends and will miss you all as well. I will be back on here posting again but not for another 5 years in the football thread so if you need a good laugh just look there.

Congratulations to your daughter. Sounds like she had a real nice high school career, and good luck to her at the next level.

Mr. Alphabet, I hope you don't stay away from BGP for five years. I enjoy reading some of your posts and we would miss your insights on many of the topics. I am sure we will see you post more in the HS Football forum going forward.

Congratulations to your daughter. Sounds like she had a real nice high school career, and good luck to her at the next level.

Mr. Alphabet, I hope you don't stay away from BGP for five years. I enjoy reading some of your posts and we would miss your insights on many of the topics. I am sure we will see you post more in the HS Football forum going forward.

With having one playing college football at MSU and now one getting ready to play softball in college along with the 10 and 7 yr old it will be crazy for a few yrs.

Very nice, best of luck to Brooke in college, I am going to have to start a master list of girls from this area in college to keep up with.