Covington Catholic 3 Bishop Brossart 2

Theoldguy

The Good: Pitching by Severson as he goes a complete 7 innings and allows the Mustangs only 2 runs on three hits.

The Bad The UGLY: Not when you beat a quality opponent like Bishop Brossart

Grubers Grill Defensive Star of the game:Nothing special in this game but CovCath doesn't commit an error in this game.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Going with 3rd Basemen Matt Rolf. Rolf had the big hit in the 6th inning to knock in the CovCath third and winning run.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Severson to me at least was the star of the game, as he kept the Mustangs in check except for a bit of control problem in the third when he walked three and forced in a run via a walk. BB is a quality baseball team and he did a great job.

CovCath sixth inning Severson singles and is moved to second by a sac bunt by Schneider. One out man on second. Grosser walks and Schrieverhits into a 6-4 FC. Two outs and and men on 1st and third when Matt Rolf hits the game winning single and drives in Severson.

CovCath pitching:

Severson W (2-1) 96 pitches 7 innings 27 PA 3 hits 2 runs 2 earned runs 3 walks and 7 K's (4 Looking)

CovCath hitting:

Reese 3 PA 1 run scored 1 hit and 1 Nutini (HBP)

Best 3 PA

Lankheit 3 PA and 1 hit

Nienaber CR

Severson 3 PA 1 run scored 1 hit and reached base via E-6c

Schneider 3 PA 1 walk 1 K and 1 sac

Grosser 3 PA and 2 walks

Fagel CR

Scheiver 3 PA 1 run scored 1 hit 1 FC and reached base via E-1t

Rolf 3 PA 2 hits 1 rbi and 1 K

Stein 3 PA 1 rbi 1 sac 1 sf and 1 fc

CovCath improves their record to 12-1 and next plays Simon Kenton at 4:30pm Thursday April 21 @ CovCath

What kind of pitcher is Severson? Seems to be pitching really well this year but since I'm not from Northern Kentucky I don't know much about him. Does he rely on velocity or does he mix pitches really well?

Lefty. Likes the hook and when he has it it's very hard to hit. His fastball continues to get better. He needs to locate because he's not going to blow it by the top of the order.

Very good KY high school pitcher.

Lefty that works outside edge with fastball and offspeed. Probabley 78MPH fastball. Not a thrower but a pitcher. I think he's had only one bad outing - that against Dixie, their only loss. If umpire is giving 1 to 2 balls outside, he's deadly. Against Dixie, he wasn't getting that call and had to come in on hitters and got in trouble.

Lefty. Likes the hook and when he has it it's very hard to hit. His fastball continues to get better. He needs to locate because he's not going to blow it by the top of the order.

Very good KY high school pitcher.

Only a Junior! He will get bigger and stronger and when he does, his speed will increase. While he doesn't throw the big time heat, he is sneaky fast (if you understand what I mean), if that curve ball of his is on! Gets a lot of looking called strikes!

What about Brossarts pitchers? Sounds like the threw the ball pretty well to only give up 3 runs.

Two solid pitchers. Embs has a good fastball but needs to work on a curve. If he can get an effective curve he will be strong.

Fardo has a funky motion but was effective as well.

Well-pitched game by all 3 pitchers. Two good teams.

I forget to mention that the actual star of the CovCath games on Thursday was Mrs. Bender, Seattle Stein Mother. :notworthy:

Mrs. Bender made and brought some baked goods/candies to the games on Thursday and she was nice enough to give Theoldguy some. They were outstanding and thus any CovCath Mom who feeds Theoldguy, is automatically the Star of the game in my book!

Thank you Mrs Bender! :thumb: