Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question for the Highlands historians

Featured Replies

I have a question: according to the information I have Highlands has only retired the jersey numbers of two players: Jim Burt (Class of 1961) and Marty Moore (Class of 1989). I thought Jim Burt's number was 40, but someone recently emailed me and told me that Jim Burt's number was actually 30, and his brother John Burt wore #40. However, clearly Highlands has not retired jersey number 30 since WR Brian Gall wore #30 this past season. I also noticed that no one wore #40 this year, so I'm thinking Jim Burt actually did wear #40 after all. Does anyone know for sure which number Jim Burt wore? Also, were Jim and John twins (did they both graduate in 1961)?

Wasn't Marty's number 43?

  • Author

^ Yes, it was #43.

I actually thought that Ben And John Pogue each wore the #40 and I thought that was their father Hanks number???

If Highlands actually retired numbers , there would be not a number left.

 

Just alot of really, really good players that keep coming thru the halls of Highlands and I believe it is a true honor to get to wear the number of legends past.

 

I know my fathers number has been worn by some fantastic players and he loves seeing every last one of them carry on the tradition. If that number had been retired, it just would not have been the same.

John Burt's number was retired. It was #40. The Burt brothers were not twins. John Burt was held back a year and Jim Burt was moved up a year so they could be in the same class. They are two years apart in age. That's why John was the more physically mature of the two in high school. The Burts attended Western Kentucky University and both were star players on the football team, but Jim continued to mature physically and ended up the best player of the two. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Los Angeles Rams but decided to pursue medical school rather than the NFL. John lives in Fort Thomas and Jim lives in Bowling Green, Ky.

  • Author

Bad Bill, thanks so much for the info and it will amend the information on my site accordingly.

 

Am I correct in thinking that John Burt and Marty Moore are the only two Highlands players to have their jersey numbers retired? That is quite an honor, given all the great players who've gone through HHS.

Edited by jbwill2

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.