Bishop Brossart 5 Campbell County 3

It wasn’t the most beautiful of games, but in the end the Lady ‘Stangs got the prize at the end of the rainbow….the top seed in the 37th District Tournament and the best shot of everyone making the 10th Region Tourney for the 20th consecutive year. The Lady ‘Stangs finished 5-0 in District seeding.

The Lady ‘Stangs beat rival Campbell County 5-3 in the confines of Camel Field where it has always been a scary experience for Lady ‘Stang softball. They had many chances to make it a romp leaving ten runners on base. :dancingpa:ylsuper:

It looked like Brossart would have an easy time scoring first when Lindsay Griffith walked with two out in the first and then stole second. She rode home easily on a Jenna Bezold double.

Brossart added two more in the third on a home run by Griffith and another home run by Molly Williams. When they added a fourth in the fourth as Nat Woeste scored on a Paige Baynum double One of two hits) it looked like the game was over at 4-0.

In the fourth though the Lady Camels came alive when Wolf stung a two out two strike home run to left to make it 4-2. Campbell added a third run in the sixth on an error and suddenly it was 4-3.

In the top of the seventh, the Lady ‘Stangs opened with a walk to Bezold, and Alicia Miller reached on an error. Moments later Krista Kennedy lined one to right and it was 5-3.

Miller pitched a great game limiting the Lady Camels to just three hits and took care of business blocking out the haunted vibes with two strikeouts and a harmless grounder to first. She had 8 strikeouts for the game.

Brossart will now play Calvary or Silver Grove for a trip to the Region. A loss would have forced a coin flip between Brossart, Campbell and Scott for top seed.

The junior varsity owed the Lady Camels after Campbell upset them in the Brossart JV Classic this past weekend.

In the third inning with the game knotted at 1-1, the Lady ‘Stangs exploded for six runs to take a 7-1 lead. The big blow of the inning was a long home run by Chelsie Brewer to left. Erin Franke helped herself in the fifth during another 5 run explosion with a long triple.

When the smoke cleared Brossart had run ruled Campbell Co, 13-3. Lindsay Brossart, Chelsie Brewer and Ashley Dellar had two rbis each, Franke had two hits and three rbis and Maria Greis two hits.

The Lady ‘Stangs played solid defense and Erin Franke scattered 5 hits over five innings striking out 4.

Third time I have watched Brossart this year and came away impressed again. I must also make a couple of other comments...the Lady Camels have really improved this year. I have seen them play three times too, and they have steadily improved, not to the point where they are ready to contend for the Region crown yet, but they could upset a team or two if things play out right. I also thought the field umpire really hustled in the varsity tilt. Good to see, as too many times that has not been the case this season from the many games I have witnessed.