Is the quality of NKY wrestling falling or . . .

sowcsoc

Is the quality of NKY wrestling falling this year or is the rest of the state picking up in talent? It looks like the Northern Kentucky region could be knocked off this year as the best region. Wrestling in Western Kentucky appears to have improved greatly in the last 5 years.

Here's how the regions look based on the pre-season team top 20 rankings

Region 5 - 4 teams - South Oldham (2), Fern Creek (5), Oldham Co. (6) and Eastern (11).

Region 1 - 4 teams - Union Co. (12), Caldwell Co. (16), Ft. Campbell (17) and Ohio Co. (20)

Region 2 - 3 teams - Larue Co. (3), North Hardin (10) and Anderson Co. (18)

Region 6 - 3 teams - Ryle (4), Campbell Co. (9) and Simon Kenton (14)

Region 7 - 2 teams - Woodford Co. (1) and Harrison Co. (8)

Region 8 - 2 teams - Sheldon Clark (7) and Wayne Co. (15)

Region 4 - 2 teams - Trinity (13) and Seneca (19)

Region 3 - 0 teams

I can remember when no one was close to West Kentucky. Then Norhtern made a huge surge and overpassed us. Now it is time for payback. :flame:

Overall I think all of Kentucky is improving. I haven't gotten to go to state in the past coouple of years but from the talent leaving the state to wrestle in college, I do believe the future is bright for Kentucky. :banana:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how you can think they are down. They have wrestlers who will be considered the top 2 in their wt. class and probable state champs.

Daniel Thuenerman (Scott), Rob Aylor (Ryle), Brian Wilson (Campbell Co.), and Austin Cooper (Simon Kenton).

The irony is that the last three could be in the same wt. class this year. Could be one heck of a wt. class.

Does anyone know if these three are going to split up this year? I can't see them all wrestling 145 this year and I'm not sure any of them could make 140 this year.

I'm not sure how you can think they are down. They have wrestlers who will be considered the top 2 in their wt. class and probable state champs.

My post is based only on the preseason team rankings, not individual rankings. I know how tough NKY is and expect them to be well represented in the state tournament. However, the team rankings indicate that NKY may not be as well represented at state as it has been in the past. Time will tell. Personally, I hope the quality of wrestling in NKY hasn't declined. Rather, I hope the rest of the state is getting better and raising the standard. I've said before that Kentucky has better wrestling than most states give credit. We just don't have the exposure.

For example:

I could name one Kentucky state placer, not a champion, that has defeated a Tennessee state champion, while in high school, and spanked a two time Nebraska state champion, while in college.

I could name another Kentucky wrestler that has beaten a hearlded Tennessee state champion,.

Yet, another young Kentucky wrestler that has repeatedly beaten an Indiana state champion.

And, another Kentucky wrestler that attended a highly competitive out-of-state camp and earned the outstanding wrestler award.

And, an ex-Kentucky wrestler, who was second string on his Kentucky team, who later moved to Tennessee and was a state runner up there.

Also consider what a Kentucky wrestler is currently accomplishing at Cumberland College, and another that I belive will be wrestling for a Big Ten school.

These are just what I know about within my small circle. I do not want NKY wrestling to decline. I would rather see the rest of the state get better and push the bar higher.

The title of my post was intended to have a little fun and "bust your NKY chops" a little. Hopefully, the team rankings reflect a positive move throughout the state.