Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Royals vs Saints in 2009-2010???

Featured Replies

The subject was touched on in a previous thread, http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=184624&highlight=mason, but no one seems to know a legitimate reason why the Royals and the Saints aren't scheduled to play a regular season game in 2009/2010.

 

I was told a couple of months ago that a parent of a Royal player had cited a new policy that was adopted by Mason County that they (boys and girls teams alike) were not going to schedule private schools during their regular season. So I thought that was the answer and as lame as it was, my thoughts were it is the schools right to make such a decision and I didn't think much more about it, but in looking at their schedule it seems that reason was incorrect since they have scheduled Holy Cross, Brossart, and Calvary Christian.

 

So I thought knew the answer and now once again I am wondering why in 20plus years are these two teams not playing each other in the regular season?

 

In the above reference thread there was a comment that it could be bitterness on the Royals part due to the 30 point loss dealt them by the Saints in the district tournament. At the time, I had given some thought to that and thought it certainly could be true, but abandoned that theory after hearing of the now bogus " regular season private school policy". I have to wonder if there is any truth to the "bitterness theory".

 

I have been told by several sources that St. Patrick tried on many occasions to contact the AD and the Coach at Mason County to schedule to no avail.

 

So does anyone have any idea why a crosstown rivalry between these teams isn't on the schedule?

Why does it really matter? The answer is obvious. There is some animosity Im sure between the 2 schools. Its each schools choice of whether they want to schedule or not. Take it with a grain of salt. :popcorn:

Looks like the decision not to play St Pat is strictly a basketball thing because baseball has already scheduled them for next year

Let me start by saying this response is my opinion and my opinion only. Now, in every sport at all levels, when a new coach takes over they immediately sets their sights on beating their inner city or major rivilaries. Ky-Louisville, Lane Kipen Tennessee and Flordia, Mason-Clark (Boys) and Mason-St. Pat (Girls), etc. So Coach Douglas chose to set her sights on the Mason Co as her team to beat to make her name and secure her coaching position at the school. She is also smart because she chose Mason at the time that their big three had just graduated and St Patrick had their best talent in years led by the coaches very talented daughter. Mason also changed coaches which also may have contributed to this anomisty. Coach Buser and Coach Orme had a good working relationship and both tried to beat each other every time they played. St Pat used to use the girls game to practice sometime.

 

When Coach Douglas took over she withdrew her team from the Summer camp which Coach Orme already had the girls scheduled. St Pat also played in the Mountain Dew shootout every year and last year and I believe there there was a date conflict so Mason rearranged the schedule and then St Pat still refused to come and play forcing Mason to find another team at the last minute. So this is some of the reasons Mason and St Patrick girls are not playing. As for the boys, St Pat had only played Mason in the MCIT recently and the MCIT has been canceled. As a fan and scorekeeper, I loved playing St Pat and will miss it. It sure will make the District game if they play more exciting. Like I said in the beginning just my opinion.

Sumo like you I also have an opionion. I think things are more simple than all of what you said. Coaches change, tournaments change, summer camps change, but one thing that never changes is that no one likes to get beat.

 

Yes Coach Douglas did choose not to attend the camp but thats her prerogative. As the new coach she felt changes had to be made in order for her team to get better and compete in the 39th district, and in hind site looks like a pretty good decision.

 

The Mt Dew shootout schedule issue is not exactly as you reported. St Pat did not wait till the last minute to let Mason County know of the scheduling conflict the only thing that was last minute was the rearranging and by then St Pat had already committed to another game.

 

But the part of your comment that I find the most troubling is that you think Coach Douglas used the games last year against Mason County to make a name for herself. Coach Douglas was and still is a very respected coach in the area and in the Cincinnati area with AAU teams long before she became varsity coach. She won several championships with her grade school and middle school teams who are now the freshman, jv, and varsity of St Pat. I dont understand your statement of how she was smart and chose last year to beat Mason county. She did not choose for your seniors to graduate I believe they did that on their own. She did not choose for Mason County to have a rebuilding year instead of a reloading year like they usually have. The only thing Coach Douglas chose to do was work hard and make her team better than any team in a long time at St Pat.

 

I don't think new coaches, summer camps, or Mt Dew shootouts have a lot to do with this years regular season schedule. In my opinion it has more to do with a 33 point loss in the district. But how short memories can be when your used to winning by a large margin like the 49 point win Mason had over St Pat in the 06-07 season. But like you Sumo thats just my opinion......:sssh:

  • Author

I have to agree with thomasmoredad on this one. Coach Douglas did not "choose" to beat Mason last year. So I guess coach Orme just chose to lose all those years? As far as the summer camp, I think coach Douglas wanted to play her girls against teams they hadn't played in previous years and probably wouldn't play in the future to get her girls out of the usual routine. The way I see it St Pat's team right now and in the next couple of years should be pretty strong. This is due to the fact that these girls have played together for years and they have worked hard to get to where they are. Sumoroyal , it almost seems like you think that because Mason had a weak team due to losing the Chambers and company that St. Patrick should have had mercy on Mason and let them win.

 

I would also like to mention that there was no mercy in their match uup in Jan. of 2007 when Chambers was still playing to almost the end with the almost 50 point lead, and on this sight the next day not one word was mentioned of how bad it was of the Royals to run the score up. There was mention however from what I believe was a Royals fan of how the bench should have been played because those were the type of games when you should give your reserve players some playing time so that they can improve for future years. That comment only validates how there was no mercy on St. Pat that night.

 

 

Heck, in the district tournament win this past season, Douglas played everyone on her bench except the water girls!

 

 

Here's the thread.....

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=113636&highlight=mason

 

 

here's the post.....#6 from kysportsfan4life....

 

I'd have to say that some of the blame should be given to the coaches. How many times have you seen Mason County blow a team away (much like the St. Pat game), and still the starters are in til the last minute or 2 of the game. These kind of games are the ones that you can put your bench out there and give them some experience, or else how are they going to get better if they never get a chance? It's just not right. Girls that normally sit on the bench should be getting good minutes in games like these, and for most of the Mason Co. games I have been to over the years, these girls are maybe, if they're lucky, getting 1-3 minutes.

 

btw, who's to say they will meet up in the district? Has that been drawn yet?

I do not have a problem with the game last year. St Pat played great and Mason had to play their best game and St Pat drilled them early and Mason kind of gave up and deserved what they got. A loss by 35 is the same as a loss by three. But that credit goes to St Pat. I agree in the past Mason has not played alot of bench and ran the score up a bit but remember I am the scorekeeper and not the coach. St Pat has beaten Mason before and we still scheduled the nest year. I would never say anything bad about Coach Orme. He did a great with the girls and won a District championship by beating Mason and we re-scheduled. It was the first time Mason had missed the Regional Tournament. If that did not cause hard feeling why would now. I did not say Coach Douglas made a name for herself by beating Mason. She has been a successful coach for many years but not on the high school level. You guys can not tell me that when a new girls Coach at St Pat takes over, that they do say if we want to win the 39th District, historically we have to beat Mason and to win the Class "A" we have to compete with Brossart. This is no offense to Bracken who has has many good teams over the years. I don't mean to insult or make anybody mad, but everyone knows that St Pat and Mason has always been big rivals and now looks like will continue to be on a more intense scale.

The district draw is not until early February and is a blind draw. If Mason & St Pat draw opposite brackets, the team that draws Bracken will hace a very tough game. Coach Kelsch always has his girls ready to play and has alot of talent returing.

  • Author
The district draw is not until early February and is a blind draw. If Mason & St Pat draw opposite brackets, the team that draws Bracken will hace a very tough game. Coach Kelsch always has his girls ready to play and has alot of talent returing.

 

I agree that the 39th district is anyone's to win this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.