Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Talk Radio

Featured Replies

I was watching Bob Costas show on HBO last night and the round table talk was about Talk radio and how it has changed the sports scene. What is everyones opinion on talk radio when they include high school players and they dog them on radio.

I do a two hour sports talk show on 33 schools in Northern Kentucky. We don't dog players. We may talk about certain situations (fighting, grades, etc). But we don't name names. Just give facts on situations.

 

There may be other areas that do that, but not up here. If others do, that's sad. It sounds like there may be an ax to grind or some other reason for it, or they may do it just to get calls.

I agree... I'm all for fair evaluation of a player, even if it's contructive criticism. I know I didn't have a problem with people talking about me when I played, in fact I enjoyed it good or bad. However, there's no need to dog on a kid who's out there giving it his all just like we all did when we played.

The internet has changed the sports scene much more than TalkRadio.

I do a two hour sports talk show on 33 schools in Northern Kentucky. We don't dog players. We may talk about certain situations (fighting, grades, etc). But we don't name names. Just give facts on situations.

 

There may be other areas that do that, but not up here. If others do, that's sad. It sounds like there may be an ax to grind or some other reason for it, or they may do it just to get calls.

 

Same scenario for us. We may talk about the problem or situation but we never mention names of student athletes involved. When dealing with High School Sports and high school athletes we all need to remember that, as media, we are there to promote high school athletics not tear them down by focusing on the negatives. There is too much good out there to focus only on the problems.

Same scenario for us. We may talk about the problem or situation but we never mention names of student athletes involved. When dealing with High School Sports and high school athletes we all need to remember that, as media, we are there to promote high school athletics not tear them down by focusing on the negatives. There is too much good out there to focus only on the problems.

 

Absolutely. Just like BGP. Kids love to hear their name on the air or in print. But tearing them down doesn't help at all. They listen or read online.

The internet has changed the sports scene much more than TalkRadio.

 

I agree. Most radio outlets (ie: ClearChannel) won't talk about high school sports because there is no money in it. High School Sports has really had to go to the internet to get coverage. Unless you can find a GM of a station that is community oriented, you won't get conversation of HS Sports on the radio.

 

I was lucky to find mine.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.