Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fear 'Les' 13th Region Boys Ratings 1-3-07 to 1-9-07

Featured Replies

Boys Top 5

 

1. Corbin (10-4 overall, 5-0 against 13th Region foes)

What’s the scoop: Yep, there is a new team atop the 13th Region rankings.

I had Tony Pietrowski’s squad rated No.1 entering the season and that was with the thought of junior Josh Crawford in the line-up.

Well, after knowing he was going to be out until Christmas, I had Cumberland tagged No. 1.

Well, Crawford is back now and that means the Redhounds are now in the top spot.

 

Surprise, surprise: Corbin participated in both the Hoopin-It-Up-Classic and the Cumberland Falls Invitational during the holidays and posted a 4-3 record.

The Redhounds fell to Boone County in the finals of the Hoopin-It-Up-Classic, while placing fourth in the Cumberland Falls Invitational.

Despite going 1-3 during their final four games, Pietrowski’s squad will benefit in the long run by playing teams such as Boone County, New Rochelle, N.Y. and Mariner, Fla.

When will the experience pay off?

Check back in March.

 

What’s ahead: Corbin will try and improve to 3-0 in 50th District play with a home game against Williamsburg Friday. The Redhounds won’t be back in action again until Jan. 12 in the Nissan Shootout, which will be held at Lexington Catholic High School.

 

2. Cumberland (7-1, 4-0)

What’s the scoop: The Redskins drop a spot, but still are considered one of the teams to beat in the 13th Region.

I saw where the Redskins were rated seventh in the 13th Region in one of the state polls and I can honestly say that I was shocked.

When you talk about the top teams of the 13th Region, the Redskins have to be in the mix.

 

Surprise, surprise: The Redskins’ lone loss (69-59) came last week against St. Albans, W. Va.

Cumberland only connected on 25-of-69 shot attempts from the floor and missed 22-of-26 shots from 3-point range.

Maybe the key to beating the Redskins is to force them to shoot from the outside?

Cumberland still received a strong effort from Garfield Wilson (24 points), while Brooks Hogue added 14. Desmond Johnson added 12 points and 16 rebounds.

 

What’s ahead: The Redskins will be back in action Friday at home against Cawood before participating in the WYMT Classic beginning on Jan. 9.

 

3. Knox Central (9-3, 5-1)

What’s the scoop: If you’re a Knox Central fan, then you have to be impressed with the way Brandon Elam’s Panthers have played over the holidays.

The Panthers are winners of six-of-their-last-seven games, which included wins over Whitley County and Jackson County.

 

Surprise, surprise: The Panthers dropped a heart-breaker to eventual Hoopin-It-Up-Classic champion Boone County during the Classic’s opener, losing by only one point, but reeled off three straight wins after the loss to the Rebels.

Elam’s squad beat Cawood, Casey County and Jackson County and came back with a runner-up finish a week later in the 5th Monticello Bank Classic.

The Panthers handed Whitley County an 83-56 loss, but dropped an 82-47 decision to St. Xavier, Ohio in the finals.

 

What’s ahead: The Panthers’ rivalry with Barbourville will be renewed Friday at home. Knox Central won’t have too much time to rest, though, with a Jan. 8 showdown against June Buchanan in the first round of the WYMT Classic.

 

4. Jackson County (9-4, 3-2)

What’s the scoop: After starting the season with a 5-1 mark, the Generals have slowed down a bit, posting a 4-3 record since.

Jackson County did manage to gain some much-needed experience by taking part in both the Hoopin-It-Up-Classic and the Cumberland Falls Invitational.

 

Surprise, surprise: The Generals hung tough against 11th Region power Madison Central before falling 77-68 on Dec. 20, but Jackson County managed to recover with consecutive wins over Somerset and Leslie County.

Keith Hayes’ squad managed to turn in a solid showing a week later in the Cumberland Falls Invitational by going 2-1.

The Generals suffered a hard-fought 72-69 loss to Union, S.C. before pulling off wins over Sarasota, Fla. (58-57) and Boiling Springs, N.C. (73-60).

 

What’s ahead: Jackson County will be in action today on the road against Estill County before traveling to play Whitley County Saturday.

 

5. Pineville (11-2, 5-0)

What’s the scoop: The Mountain Lions are quietly putting together a solid season, while not getting much publicity in the process.

The last two seasons Pineville underachieved, but not this year. Wait and see if the Mountain Lions don’t have a say on who wins the 13th Region title this season.

 

Surprise, surprise: Pineville posted a 6-2 record in the two holiday tournaments this season, while defeating the likes of East Jessamine and Cumberland County.

 

What’s ahead: The Mountain Lions will travel to play Lynn Camp Friday and will be back in action again Jan. 8 against Barbourville.

 

The Best of the Rest

 

No. 6 South Laurel (11-3, 5-2)

What’s the scoop: The Cardinals have been on a roll since losing to Boone County by four points on Dec. 22. I still believe Steve Wright’s squad could be dangerous if the Cardinals can reach the 13th Region Tournament.

South Laurel erased its earlier loss to North Laurel by defeating the Jaguars 74-38 on Dec. 23.

The Cardinals also captured the Berea Christmas Tournament championship by defeating Glasgow, 77-53.

 

No. 7 Clay County (6-3, 3-0)

What’s the scoop: The Tigers are losers of two straight and will try to end their losing streak Friday at Wayne County.

 

No. 8 North Laurel (7-4, 2-3)

What’s the scoop: The Jaguars posted a 2-1 record in the Queen City Classic, but their 2-3 record against 13th Region foes is alarming.

 

No. 9 Middlesboro (6-8, 2-4)

What’s the scoop: The Yellow Jackets have lost 3-of-4, but still remain a dangerous team.

 

No. 10 Whitley County (9-6, 2-4)

What’s the scoop: The Colonels are continuing to improve.

  • Author

bump ^^^

The only things that I might change would be Bell Co. replacing Whitley at #10 and Corbin and Cumberland switching places.

  • Author

I like what Whitley is doing and Bell deserves to be in there as well and I see where you're coming from about Cumberland and Corbin switching, but I had Corbin No. 1 until Crawford was out, so I put Cumberland No. 1, but now Crawford is back, so that's why I made the move.

I probably should have had a tie. Even though Corbin is 1-3 during their past four games, they could have easily been 4-0. I like the way they are playing. The CFIT GAMES WILL DO NOTHING BUT MAKE THEM BETTER.

I like what Whitley is doing and Bell deserves to be in there as well and I see where you're coming from about Cumberland and Corbin switching, but I had Corbin No. 1 until Crawford was out, so I put Cumberland No. 1, but now Crawford is back, so that's why I made the move.

I probably should have had a tie. Even though Corbin is 1-3 during their past four games, they could have easily been 4-0. I like the way they are playing. The CFIT GAMES WILL DO NOTHING BUT MAKE THEM BETTER.

 

I thought Corbin played well in the CFIT, and I agree that the competition they faced will only help them.

 

I was surprised by the Knox Central & Whitley score, but that may say more about Knox Central's strength than anything. I guess the loser of the Bell Co. & Middlesboro game could drop out and the Colonels could stay in.

  • Author

Yep, you're right about the Bell/Middlesboro game.

Maybe you and I need to combine our rankings each week and do a Fear '4CHS AND LES' 13TH Region ratings. :)

The only things that I might change would be Bell Co. replacing Whitley at #10 and Corbin and Cumberland switching places.

 

 

 

I thought you had Whitley in front of Bell in another poll? I agree though about Bell being No. 10.

 

I agree with Les about Corbin at No. 1 and Cumberland at No. 2. I've said that since last March.

 

I'm a little surprised at North at No. 8. I got bashed for having them at No. 9 earlier.

Yep, you're right about the Bell/Middlesboro game.

Maybe you and I need to combine our rankings each week and do a Fear '4CHS AND LES' 13TH Region ratings. :)

 

It's easier to let you do it and then gripe about it.:jump:

I thought you had Whitley in front of Bell in another poll? I agree though about Bell being No. 10.

 

I agree with Les about Corbin at No. 1 and Cumberland at No. 2. I've said that since last March.

 

I'm a little surprised at North at No. 8. I got bashed for having them at No. 9 earlier.

 

That was before Whitley got blown out by Knox Central and prior to Bell Co. beating Walton Verona and someone else.

  • Author

bump

I think Whitley deserves to be number 10, they have played a tougher schedule than Bell and 8 games in 10 days is tough. Casey and Rock are both in the top 10 in the 12th and Whitley hs beaten both of them. I would like to see WC/KC both on fresh legs, KC may still win becuase that present some match up problems for the Colonels but to say that the score in the Wayne Tourny is represtative is a bit premature.

  • Author

Like I said before ... NORTH is struggling a bit IMO, that's why I have the Jaguars where they are.

I think the poll looks pretty good. I definately agree on Whitley County at #10 and Corbin at #1. I may put Knox Central as my #2 in front of Cumberland. Cumberland is very good, but they have also played a very favorable schedule thus far. Corbin and Knox Central both have played far superior competition.

The competition will get stiffer starting with Cawood who beat Middlesboro. The WYMT next week, it looks like it could be a all 13th region final if Knox can get by JBS and both Clay and Cumberland win.

  • Author

Big win for the Trojans.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.