What is the definition of a tournament?

I know that only two tournaments a year can be counted as just one game against the number of games a team can play in a season. I think the limit is 23 games which is usually scheduled as 21 games and two tournaments. If a team plays in more than two tournaments they must count every game played in those additional tournaments against their allowable total. It seems like Hazard has played in 4 or 5 tournaments this year.

Hazard has played in the Hazard Invitational, the Defender of the Stattion, the WYMT Mountain Classic, and the All'A" Tournament. But they have also had to cancel games at the end of season. I'm not sure what the definition is either as defined by the KHSAA but I'm sure that the teams and coaches are aware and wouldn't jeopardize their season because of a violation.

A guy explained this to me as a definition of a tournament, if there is a winner, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. If you play in a classic or whatever it is called and there isn't a winner then it isn't a tournament.

That sounds practical but I am not sure if that is how the KHSAA defines it. You could be right though as I know very little on the matter.

Here's how it works. Any two tournaments you play in may be counted as one game each as long as you play in four games or less in each tournament. If you play 5 games in a tournament, it counts as two games. If you play 6 games in a tournament, it counts as 3 games.

For tournaments beyond the above two, each game played counts as a game in the 23 game limit.

Now, festival and classics, like the All "A" Classic, where you have a regional round and a state round, each round is counted as a separate tournament.

I agree with that but it still doesn't answer the question. Some events teams play in are not a tournament and should not be counted as 1 game. Say if your team plays in an event with two games with predetermined teams and there is no winner. In this case you count each game???

I agree with that but it still doesn't answer the question. Some events teams play in are not a tournament and should not be counted as 1 game. Say if your team plays in an event with two games with predetermined teams and there is no winner. In this case you count each game???
Tournaments must be sanctioned through KHSAA and NFHS.

If a tournament, involves teams that "do not border KY", than sanctioning through the NFHS, is required and must be approved by each Athletic State Association.

There is certain method to counting, if a single elimination and round robin format, as with double elimination.