12th Region Quarterfinals Review and Preview of Remaining Tournament

The final four in the regional is now set and the semifinals will take place tonight, March 11th, with the finals set for tomorrow, March 12th. Let's breakdown the four quarterfinal games then preview tonight's matchups.

Quarterfinals

Mercer County 55 Southwestern 42

As I have said before I think Southwestern is still a year away from being a contender but they certainly stood out the last month or so of the season. Their run ended at the hands of Mercer County behind the 17 points of John Perry and Trevor Ellis' 16 points and 20 rebounds. 

Pulaski County 71 Boyle County 44

The rollercoaster ride is over as the champions of the 45th District, the Boyle County Rebels, were summarily blown out by the hosting Pulaski County Maroons behind Will Blankenship's 26 points. Zak Anderson added 12 points and 12 rebounds and Carson Fraley scored 13. Montavin Quisenberry and Avery Bodner each had 10 for the Rebels. Pulaski out rebounded Boyle 27 to 18. Avery Bodner graduates for the Rebels but the remaining core returns so there is certainly potential for success in the immediate future but can they be more consistently successful next year?

Somerset 73 Trinity Christian 53

The feel good story of the Trinity Christian Titans ended as the Somerset Briar Jumpers cruised on to the semifinals behind the 24 points of Indred Whitaker. Josh Lewis added 18 and Ben Godby scored 16. The Jumpers went 50% from three-point range with Whitaker making six and Lewis making 5. 

Danville Christian 53 Wayne County 48 (OT)

Titus Boyd may have only scored 7 but he was there when it mattered as he hit the game tying shot with 7.2 seconds left to send this game to overtime. Antajuan Dumphord had a look to win but it fell flat. DCA was able to ice the game from the free throw line in the final moments of overtime. Braden Fugate led DCA with 14 points. Kendall Phillips scored 17 for the Cardinals. With both him and Dumphord back for Wayne County I expect we will hear from them again next March.

Semifinals Preview

Mercer County vs. Pulaski County

The Maroons won this matchup at home on February 6th. Trevor Ellis had 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Titans and Zak Anderson had 10 points and 11 rebounds for Pulaski. The Maroons had four double digit scorers and Carson Fraley did not play. With this game being at Pulaski County again and Fraley being healthy, I see the Maroons having a clear edge. However, I think there is a strong argument Mercer will have the best player on the floor in Ellis, something I think always gives a team a chance no matter the competition.

Somerset vs. Danville Christian

When two teams are both talented (and sometimes even when there is a talent gap) it is really hard to beat the same team three times. That's exactly what DCA would have to do to advance to the finals. The Warriors won 53 to 39 in the All A Regional Tournament and then 48 to 45 on February 23rd. Somerset was atrocious offensively in the All A game with no scorers in double figures and going 7 of 31 from three point range. They were able to clean that up a bit as Indred Whitaker and Ben Godby both scored 13 in the rematch and the team shot 40 percent from the field including 10 of 23 from long distance. Titus Boyd had 18 in the first game and 14 in the second. Geu Ateny wasn't available for the first game but had 11 in the second as well as 8 rebounds. I really think this is anyone's game but can be dictated by one stat - if Whitaker and Godby combine for over 30, it'll be the Jumpers. If it is under 24 it will be the Warriors. Anywhere in between those two numbers and it'll be a tossup. 

We will be back next week to break down the semifinals as well as the finals and then preview the path ahead in the state tournament for the regional winner.

• Like 1

I think outside of Wayne Co. you can argue these are the best teams in the 12th region, and have been so for most of the season.  DCA is the favorite (with only 1 regional loss and huge size advantage), but will have to go through the gauntlet (already playing Wayne in an OT game) of worthy challengers.

• Like 1