1st Region Week 13 Review and District Preview

I first want to give a shout out to both McCracken's Connor Miller and Carlisle's Coach Brian Oneil who won the KABC Region 1 Player and Coach of the Year.  Both very well deserved.  Miller is an athletic combo guard who can shoot it, and also score at the rim.  He and Jackson Klope were an awesome 1-2 punch for the Mustangs this year.  Coach Oneil has long been thought to be one of the best coaches in this region, and the Comets have had an excellent season.

I will give a quick rankings, and then I will preview the Top 3 District semifinal games for this week (sorry 1st District fans):

1. Calloway Co. (17-10) - L 59-87 at Lyon Co.

2. McCracken Co. (22-7)

3. Murray (22-8)

4. Marshall Co. (20-7) - W 69-57 at Madisonville

5. St. Mary (20-10) - W 89-65 vs CFS

6. Tilghman (13-14) - W 73-56 vs Caldwell Co.

7. Mayfield (17-8)

8. Graves Co. (20-9)

9. Carlisle Co. (19-10)

10. Ballard Co. (8-22)

11. CFS (9-21)

12. Fulton Co. (5-21)

13. Hickman Co. (5-16)

14. CCA (8-22)

15. Fulton City (6-22)

Best Game - #1 Calloway Co. vs #4 Marshall Co.  When - Tuesday at 7:30.  Where - Murray High.  Previous Matchups - 1/19 - Marshall 66 Calloway 61, 2/9 - Calloway 58 Marshall 53

I know I sound like a broken record, but it's a crying shame that one of these two teams will not make the CFSB Center next week.  I don't think anyone could say that these are not two of the Top 5 teams in this region.  I think that this game will most likely come down to the wire, and I think I will give a slight edge to the Lakers.  The Lakers have an awesome Junior trio of Eli Finley (24 PPG), Jonah Butler (17 PPG & 10 RPG), and Conner Lockhart (14 PPG).  That's an average of 55 points per game between these three players.  The Marshals are led by Alex Staples (15 PPG) and Freshman Matthew Langhi (12 PPG).  I think that the Marshals have a more balanced team and they definitely like to score at the rim more than the Lakers do.  The Lakers are a prolific three-point shooting team as they make the most 3s per game in this region at 8.7.  If you're in the Murray area this Tuesday you won't want to miss this one!

2nd Best Game -  #5 St. Mary at #6 Paducah Tilghman.  When - Tuesday at 7:30 . Where - Otis Dinning Gym (PT).  Previous Matchups - 12/12 - PT 83 St. Mary 69, 2/6 - St. Mary 60 PT 52

A quick check of the KHSAA roster website shows that Tilghman has an enrollment of 882, and St. Mary's is 93.  However, the Vikings have assembled a heckuva basketball team led by Owen Mikel (20 PPG), Luke Sims (19.5 PPG) and Aidan Hahn (12 PPG).  They also have several other solid role players around them - most of these are seniors.  Tilghman is led by Sophomore Miles Woodfork (19 PPG), Ahmad Wilkins (15.5 PPG) and Josh Campbell (11 PPG).

There is quite a contrast in styles between these two teams as the Vikings are an excellent shooting team and the Tornado would rather work the ball inside.  How about this stat - Mikel and Sims have made 154 three-pointers this year and the entire Tornado team has only made 139.  The Tornado was in complete control in the first home game, and the Vikings won the second game pretty easily (Woodfork for PT missed that game due to illness).  I think this game will come down to if Tilghman can keep Mikel/Sims/Hahn in check, and that is not an easy task.  I think the Tornado has stepped their defense up a little in the last few weeks of the year, and we will see if this can continue on Tuesday night.  I think I would give the Vikings a slight edge if this one was on the Holy Hardwood, but I'm tempted to give PT a slight edge since this one is at home for them.  This one should also be a good one!

3rd Best Game - #10 Ballard Mem. at #7 Mayfield.  When - Tuesday at 7:30.  Where - Mayfield.  Previous Matchups - 1/2 - Mayfield 62 Ballard Mem. 55, 1/26 - Mayfield 54 Ballard Mem. 45

These two had some competitive games this season, and I need to congratulate Jace Birney on becoming the Bombers all-time leading scorer (boys and girls).  And he's only a Junior.  Birney is scoring 26 points per game this year, but no other Bomber is averaging more than seven.  Mayfield is led by Braydon Pate who scores 13 points per game and shoots 48% from downtown (he makes three 3s per game).  I think the Cardinals should have the edge in this game, especially since they are hosting this tourney.  However, if Birney gets really hot I think this could be a clos one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you sweet16.  I misread that one.  I think that game most definitely gets more interesting

I have also heard that Wilkins for PT may have an injury. Not sure as to his status for Tuesdays game.  He’s their best outside shooter so that would be a big blow to the Tornado. 

On 2/25/2024 at 8:32 PM, D Wolf said:

Thank you sweet16.  I misread that one.  I think that game most definitely gets more interesting

I have also heard that Wilkins for PT may have an injury. Not sure as to his status for Tuesdays game.  He’s their best outside shooter so that would be a big blow to the Tornado. 

You're welcome. I've heard Wilkins is up in the air on whether he plays or not. I've heard both so who knows what to believe. 

Very brief:

1st District - Carlisle!

2nd District - PT is most likely without their shooter, Wilkins.  And Mustangs swept them this year so I think the Mustangs take this one.

3rd District - is this one a toss up?  Graves swept the Cardinals this year but the Eagles have kind of stumbled down the stretch.  I’ll say the Eagles right the ship and are the 3rd champs.  

4th District - I would say on a neutral floor this is a toss up.  But the Tigers are hosting so I’ll take them over the Marshals. 

D Wolf