1st Region Week 8 Review and Rankings

Let's talk about the 4th District real quick.  I have Calloway, Murray and Marshall at numbers 1, 3, and 4 in my rankings below and one of those teams is going to be left out of the regional tourney unfortunately.  The number one seed is so important, and it looks like Calloway has the edge for that as of now.  I think a Murray/Marshall semifinal matchup would probably go down to the wire.

Key games this week:

Mon - McCracken Co. at University Heights, Tilghman at Mayfield

Tues - St. Mary at McCracken Co., Graves Co. at Calloway Co., Massac Co. (IL) at Tilghman

Thurs - Murray vs Evangel Christian

Fri - Tilghman at Marshall Co. (1st Region Game of the Week), McCracken at Graves Co., Mayfield at Ballard Mem.

Here are my rankings:

1. Calloway Co. (17-4) - W 87-38 at Christian Fellowship, W 56-46 vs Marshall Co.

The Lakers are 9-1 in their last 10 games with the only loss coming in OT against Lexington Catholic.  They seemed to be in control against the Marshals with the key district win at home.

2. McCracken Co. (17-2) - W 58-52 at Christian Co., W 70-39 at Carlisle Co., W 62-52 vs Tilghman, L 48-61 vs Bowling Green

I predicted that Tilghman would have trouble with Jack McCune and I think I was right.  He had 26 points and 9 boards.  He was 8-11 from the field, 2 for 2 from downtown, and 8 for 8 from the line.  Saturday's game was a disappointing loss to a very talented Bowling Green team.  Remember that the Mustangs are without two key players right now - Miller and Hart.

3. Murray (12-7) - W 77-34 vs Christian Fellowship

Seven wins in a row for the Tigers, and good luck in the state All A Classic.  It is my understanding that Grant Whitaker may not play this season as he is dealing with his wrist injury.  That's a shame as I predicted that he would be the Region 1 player of the year.  I still think that Murray has the talent to repeat as regional champs!

4. Marshall Co. (15-5) - W 69-31 at Caldwell Co., L 46-56 at Calloway Co., W 74-24 at Fulton City

Tough loss on the road to the Lakers, but the Marshals will get a chance to turn the tables at home in a couple of weeks.  A key game this Friday against Tilghman - Marshall should definitely be the favorite in that one at home.  Friday's game is my Region 1 Game of the Week. 

5. Tilghman (13-6) - L 52-62 at McCracken Co.

The Tornado does not look as good without Powell in the lineup as he has missed the last two games.  They struggle to score at times without him.  It is my understanding that he will be returning soon, and they have three tough games this week.  The first region games are Monday at #6 Mayfield and Friday at #4 Marshall - can Tilghman pull both these games out?

6. Mayfield (14-4) - W 49-38 at Fulton Co., W 59-56 at Muhlenberg Co.

Two solid wins for the Cardinals this week.  I think that Calloway and McCracken has somewhat separated themselves, but there is not much difference in teams ranked 3 through 6.  Mayfield can get a chance to move up by beating the Tornado on Monday.

7. Graves Co. (7-12) - L 52-65 Vienna (IL). W 93-25 Century (IL), L 54-55 Carterville (IL)

The Eagles have played as tough of a schedule as anyone this year, and their record shows that.  This is still a very dangerous team that can hang with anyone in the 1st Region.

8. Ballard Mem. (14-6) - W 63-47 vs Hickman Co., W 69-62 at Fulton Co.

Two 1st District opponents for the Bombers this week and two wins!

9. St. Mary (9-10) - W 79-49 at Fulton City, W 88-68 vs CCA

The Mustangs better not take the Vikings lightly on Tuesday or they could find themselves in a very close game.

10. Carlisle Co. (8-9) - L 39-70 vs McCracken Co., L 60-65 at Hickman Co.

I thought about dropping down the Comets, but I still think they are the 1st District favorites.

11. Fulton Co. (10-6)

12. Hickman Co. (6-12)

13. Community Christian Acad. (8-10)

14. Christian Fellowship School (4-12)

15. Fulton City (3-13)

• Thanks 3