Apollo High School Class of 1978 (35-1)

Just wondering if any "old timers" remember that year/team...If I recall they had all 5 starters plus the 6th man get basketball scholarships..The early years, I believe, of USA Today ranking teams and had them top 5 in nation. They won the LIT that year which was the biggest tournament in the state at the time. They beat Shelby County in the LIT game, but was defeated by Shelby County in the opening round of the sweet 16. Coaches by Wayne Chapman (Rex's dad)...

I remember the '78 Eagles very well. It was truly a magical time for all those involved.

The final game of the 3rd Region tourney featured the only two undefeated teams left in the state-Apollo and Drakesboro. The Owensboro Sportscenter was SRO and the atomosphere was amazing. Apollo won 78-54 to assure a trip to state undefeated-an accomplishment achieved only once before in the history of Kentucky high school basketball.

Jeff Jones went on the play college ball at the University of Virginia (and coach), and Steve Barker played at Samford University. Coach Chapman coached at Ky Wesleyan and won a couple National Titles.

I remember the '78 Eagles very well. It was truly a magical time for all those involved.

The final game of the 3rd Region tourney featured the only two undefeated teams left in the state-Apollo and Drakesboro. The Owensboro Sportscenter was SRO and the atomosphere was amazing. Apollo won 78-54 to assure a trip to state undefeated-an accomplishment achieved only once before in the history of Kentucky high school basketball.

Jeff Jones went on the play college ball at the University of Virginia (and coach), and Steve Barker played at Samford University. Coach Chapman coached at Ky Wesleyan and won a couple National Titles.

If there were only 2 then the other was Brooksville High in 1943-44. Lost in quarters of Sweet 16 to Olive Hill 23-20 to finish 27-1.

Jeff Jones is the son of Bob Jones who I believe coached at Campbell Co for many years. Jeff played on those Virginia teams with Ralph Sampson.

Jeff Jones is the son of Bob Jones who I believe coached at Campbell Co for many years. Jeff played on those Virginia teams with Ralph Sampson.

Bob Jones (Jeffs dad) was also coaching at Kentucky Weselyan while his son was leading the 1978 team. Jeff, I believe, is now coaching a smaller school in R. Island. I think also Jeff Lamp and Lee Raker from Kentucky (Louisville area) was also on the Virginia team and Jeff Jones along with Lamp started 2-3 years with Sampson at Virginia.

Bob Jones (Jeffs dad) was also coaching at Kentucky Weselyan while his son was leading the 1978 team. Jeff, I believe, is now coaching a smaller school in R. Island. I think also Jeff Lamp and Lee Raker from Kentucky (Louisville area) was also on the Virginia team and Jeff Jones along with Lamp started 2-3 years with Sampson at Virginia.

Jeff Jones is actually in his 7th year as head coach at American University in Washington, DC and doing quite well there!

Jeff Jones is actually in his 7th year as head coach at American University in Washington, DC and doing quite well there!

Thanks for the update on Jones...After reading your post, it came back that I had seen that before. It is good to see him doing well. I know he had a tough time in high school dealing with some family issues, but you always felt he could and would rise above that.

Nope. Also Mason County did it in 1981-1982, and lost in the State Finals to Simon kenton to finish 31-1 I believe. So there's 4 that we've mentioned on here: Brooksville in 1944, Brewers in '48, Apollo in '75 and Mason in '81

Mason lost to Simon Kenton in 1980-1981 in the finals . The following year 1981-1982 led by Kelly Middleton they went to the state undefeated and lost to Virgie led by 6-8 Todd May in the 2nd round I believe.