Lady Knights Challenge Cup 2022 - Sep 5th - 10th

I don't know how crazy my schedule will be this weekend and the first games being played on Monday night so I thought I would post the bracket now while I have a minute.

Some really strong programs in this Challenge Cup.  Whoever comes out on top will definitely earn it!!!!

Looking forward to some fun rides down and back this coming week.  Hopefully in a great mood each time.

#GOBIRDS!!!

Here is a run down on what has happened in the First Round of games:

Lex Cath knocked off SK in a close thriller, 1-0

Dunbar holds on even after allowing Highlands to sneak one by with 12 sec left in regulation to tie it....wins by a 4-2 PK outcome, 3-2 Final

NDA shuts out Manual, 2-0

Assumption outlasts Dixie, 4-2

Second Round of games are as such then:

Tonight 6pm:

NKY showcase showdown:  Highlands vs Simon Kenton

Tonight at 8pm:

Lexington foes:  Dunbar vs Lex Cath

Tomorrow at 6pm:

Dixie vs Manual

Tomorrow at 8pm:

NDA vs Assumption, in a rematch of a 0-0 game earlier in the season......can't tie in this one ladies!

This Simon Kenton vs Highlands game has some interesting story lines within this game.

Since 2001 Simon Kenton has only been able to beat Highlands once....guess where that game was played?  You guessed it 2016 Lex Cath Tournament Championship game, SK pulled off the win 2-0!

Also, another person on the SK sidelines that would be hoping for a big win against the Birds is their new Head Coach Hillary Johnson who for 5 seasons had to be the Runner Up to the Birds in the 36th District, NEVER beating the Birds.....

Birds better be ready to play because the Pioneers of SK will be PUMPED UP for this match for a lot of reasons.

Highlands argues their way to a Victory over Simon Kenton 2-1

So after a nice 90 minute drive for both the Birds and Pioneer Nation fan bases we arrive at the construction filled campus of Lexington Catholic.  The weather unlike Monday night was absolutely beautiful for a soccer game between 2 programs that were fit to have a great competitive game against one another.

6pm and the whistle blows, for Highlands, Natalie Hinegardner is back between the pipes after a 5 game "injury" absence.  A nice coaching gesture Norris plugged Bella Moreno who was playing goalie during Nat's absence as the starting right back to begin the game.

After some back and forth possessions with a few run outs for both teams Highlands struck first with a nice dish from Kate Jamie to a streaking Anna Melson who was able to put a nice boot on the ball to find the back of the net..... 13 min in, Highlands 1 SK 0

Unfortunately, that lead didn't last long.  Highlands player gave a little hip check to a SK player around the 35 yd line, which set up a direct kick where SK was able to find Ella Smith who proceeded to hit a nice floater over Nat's fingertips.....16 min in, Highlands 1 SK 1

Don't get comfortable or go to the concessions for a hot dog because we have another strike looming.  Reese Wilkens takes the ball down the line almost to the goal line by the corner flag and is able to turn her hips to put a really nice strike on the ball that floated over everyone until it found Claire Cavacini that punched the ball into the back of the net....21 min in, Highlands 2 SK 1

Now here comes the drama part of the game:

I would say there was maybe 2-3 min left in the game.  Simon Kenton plays the ball over the top where a SK attacker was chasing it down and then you have the Birds keeper Hinegardner going towards the ball as well.  If neither of these girls stop we have ourselves a good ole fashion collision!!!  And that is EXACTLY what happened.  This is where you have a difference of opinion between the Official and Norris.  The official called a foul on Hinegardner for running thru the attacker of SK.  The collision occurred outside of the box, so this infraction was not going to create a PK but it will be a direct free kick right outside the 18 box.  Norris (I believe) was arguing that at the time of collision the SK player had her leg up exposing her cleats towards Hinegardner which could have been determined as "Dangerous Play" which if called would have resulted in an Indirect Free Kick for Highlands.  

This is where it gets really fun!!!!

So SK sets the ball up and quickly plays the ball into the box to an awaiting SK player who easily punches the ball into the back of the net, Birds players are all mesmerized with the arguing between Norris and Official.  GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL SK!!!  Highlands 2 SK 2

Not so fast Charlie Brown!!!!  

The Ref was unfortunately lost in a conversation with Norris who was barking at the Center Ref regarding the infraction call against Highlands.  Due to the Official losing focus on the play on the field, the Ref denied the SK goal and made the SK players reset their Direct Free kick.

Like clockwork Hillary Johnson is BESIDE HERSELF!!!!  Going ballistic, she had this game tied and due to the dissenting of Norris distracting the official from the play on the field SK just got robbed of a goal.

The second Direct Free kick of SK ended going thru the box and untouched and out of bounds. Goal kick Highlands.  Highlands 2 SK 1.

That is how the half ends.  Hillary would meet the Center Ref at midfield at Halftime to continue her argument of the robbery that was just done.  Unfortunately, to no avail.  

2nd half

As you already know the final score nothing really soccer related occurred in the 2nd half.  Now there was a card game played though.  The ref I think handed out 4 maybe 5 yellow cards in the 2nd half.  2 of the cards went against the Highlands players for saying some unkind things to the refs regarding foul recognition.  1 card for each Highlands and SK player for a hard foul.  Then to put a cherry on top of the card game, Norris received one for what it looked like for being out of the Team's technical area while he was talking to a sub that was coming in for a Birds player who just received a YC.

A wild 2nd half to say the least!

Now you are all up to speed on how that game went!

FINAL:  HHS 2 SK 1

• Thanks 1

Exciting extra soccer doubleheader!

I knew that the games last night were going to be fun to go see but boy was I surprised of what I witnessed.  It was all set to be a good showdown with Dixie against DuPont Manual in the 6pm game and then a rematch of an earlier in the season game between NDA and Assumption who couldn't score on each other a few weeks ago and ended in a 0-0 Tie.

In the first game Manual jumped out to an early 1-0 lead.  This game was a very physical back and forth battle from the kickoff.  The half ended at 1-0.

In the second half Dixie finally found the back of the net to tie the game up 1-1.  Each team there chances but no one was able to execute that finishing play to break the tie.

For the second time in the tournament we were headed into PK's.

Round 1: Each team scored

Round 2: Each team saved the PK

Round 3: Each team scored

Round 4: Each team scored again!

Round 5: Dixie converts and Manual does not!

FINAL:  Dixie 2-1 (4-3Pks)

Moving onto the second game between NDA and Assumption.  These are 2 very highly skilled teams that I knew where going to battle it out!

In the 31st min NDA strikes first to go up 1-0.

In the 54th min Assumption is able to sneak one by NDA to finally tie the game and finally score against NDA.

In the 69th min Assumption executes a perfect corner kick to find an opening to finally take the lead 2-1.

In the 76th min with only 4 min left on the clock NDA was able to Tie the game up to set up potentially another BONUS action of PKs.  And that is exactly what happens.

Round 1:  Assumption makes, NDA misses

Round 2: Assumption makes, NDA misses

Round 3: Both convert PLUS for added insight the GK from Assumption get YC

Round 4:  Assumption puts in the game winner!!!

Final Assumption 3-2 (3-1Pks)

I knew the games were going to be fun to watch but was pleasantly surprised by how much fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only 4 teams making the trip to Lex Cath to finish up this Invitational.

Dixie, NDA, HHS & Dunbar have all decided to not play……

Dixie has Hoco tonight which put Highlands out of an opponent. Don’t know reasons for NDA & Dunbar not wanting to play maybe they have Hoco as well?

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Only 4 teams making the trip to Lex Cath to finish up this Invitational.

Dixie, NDA, HHS & Dunbar have all decided to not play……

Dixie has Hoco tonight which put Highlands out of an opponent. Don’t know reasons for NDA & Dunbar not wanting to play maybe they have Hoco as well?

This will sound confusing but…a source at Dunbar said they elected not to play on Saturday after Dixie decided not to play due to Homecoming. What no one realized was that would leave NDA playing Highlands in Lexington. Today was an ACT test day for most of the NDA seniors and it is CCHs homecoming dance. I am also fairly certain that it is Highlands Homecoming. Suli and Chris talked yesterday and agreed that driving to Lexington to play with so many other things going on didn’t make a ton of sense. They explored playing in NKY, but could find officials, so elected to scrap it. 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Legacy26 said:

This will sound confusing but…a source at Dunbar said they elected not to play on Saturday after Dixie decided not to play due to Homecoming. What no one realized was that would leave NDA playing Highlands in Lexington. Today was an ACT test day for most of the NDA seniors and it is CCHs homecoming dance. I am also fairly certain that it is Highlands Homecoming. Suli and Chris talked yesterday and agreed that driving to Lexington to play with so many other things going on didn’t make a ton of sense. They explored playing in NKY, but could find officials, so elected to scrap it. 

Sorry for the typo “could NOT find officials”