BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 8 Review and Rankings:

BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 8 Review and Rankings: 

-We're 8 weeks into the season, and in my estimation the most significant thing that we learned this past week is that Lloyd is no joke. Up until now I've been a bit back and forth on them, and wondering if they could live up to the hype, and this past week they resoundingly proved that they can. They pretty much demolished each of their 3 opponents this past week. First over NewCath 77-47, then beating Holmes 78-55, and the biggest statement win of their season so far beating Holy Cross 89-71. They have a very balanced starting 5, and Jeramiah Israel has been living under the radar as one of the best players in the region. The word is out now, and everyone knows that there ain't no sleeping on the Juggernauts. 

-After being the first team in the region to take down the Highlands Bluebirds, Dixie Heights turned around and lost a shocker to Beechwood 60-57.

-Covington Catholic lost their first game of the season to another Kentucky team in losing to Louisville Male 73-68, likely dropping them a bit in the rankings. 

Here are this week's Rankings:

1). Covington Catholic - (17-3)

The Colonels this week took care of the Holmes Bulldogs 91-46, beat Walton Vernoa 102-62, beat Madison Central 68-52, but lost to Male 73-68. They've two away games this coming week, first at St. Xavier (Cincinnati) on Jan. 25, then at Ashland Blazer on Jan. 29. 

2). Cooper - (16-3)

Cooper continues their winning ways, and have now won 10 or their last 11 games. This week they won two 33rd District seeding games, first beating Conner 61-55, then Ryle 52-45. The Jags are now finished with all of their district seeding games, and are 6-0 in the 33rd District. This week Cooper plays at Simon Kenton on Jan. 25, then a home game with Holmes on Jan. 28

3). Dixie Heights - (12-4) 

After being the first team in the region to take down the Highlands Bluebirds, Dixie Heights turned around and lost a shocker to Beechwood 60-57. Since it was just last week that they beat Highlands, I will keep the Red Colonels ahead of them in the rankings. Dixie plays Lloyd in a big 34th District seeding game at home on Jan. 25, then another home game with Conner on Jan. 28. 

4). Highlands - (13-6) 

The Bluebirds went 2-0 this past week, first beating Dayton in a 36th District seeding game 90-60, then beating Breathitt County from Region 14, 86-68. The Birds have 3 games this coming week, first as home against Bishop Brossart on Jan. 24, then they host St. Xavier on Jan. 28, then they travel to Boone County on Jan. 29. 

5). Lloyd Memorial - (15-3) 

As stated in my notes above, Lloyd did a lot to raise their stocks this past weeks, and seriously put their name on the map. They dismantled Newport Central Catholic 77-47, took down Holmes 78-55, and then in their biggest statement win of the season convincingly beat Holy Cross 89-71. In that win against Holy Cross, Freshman phenom E.J. Walker scored 23 points. They have a solid starting 5, and Jeramiah Israel is truly and incredible player. Garrett Vogelpohl is stepping up more and posting up more shots with accuracy. Don't ever leave Teyon Neale wide open becasue he will knock down 3's like it ain't no thing. To round out the starting 5 is the ever reliable Zaire Monroe. Conner only beat Holy Cross by 2 so I had a hard time not bumping Lloyd up to the 5th position. They've truly earned it. This coming week they have a big 34th Disctrit seeding game at Dixie on Jan. 25, then they travel to Newport on Jan. 27, then they head on down to Ludlow on Jan. 29. 

6). Conner - (14-6)

The Cougars went 1-2 this past week, first losing in a 33rd District seeding game to Cooper 61-55, then losing on a last second shot to Lawrenceburg IN. 62-20, then finally beating South Dearborn (Aurora, IN) 63-53. They've two away games this coming week, first at Beechwood on Jan 26, then at Dixie on Jan. 28. 

7). Holy Cross - (14-6) 

The Indians beat Campbell County 89-85 after fighting back from being down early, then lost to Lloyd 89-71. Towards the end of this game, Jacob Meyer left the game after tweaking his ankle. I've not heard anything on his condition, but hopefully he'll be alright, and ready to go for the All 'A' Classic at EKU this coming week. This week the Indians face Holmes at home on Jan 24 in a 35th District seeding game, and then on Jan. 27 they head to the McBrayer arena at EKU to play in the nightcap game at 9:30 against the 11th Region All 'A' Champs, Sayre. 

8). Boone County - (12-7)

Boone County continues to improve and impress going 3-0 this past week with a 33rd District win over the Ryle Raiders 76-74, then beating Beechwood 77-63, then a big win over Model 74-41. The Rebels will have a busy week ahead with 3 games, first a home game with Scott on Jan. 25, then they travel to St. Henry on Jan. 27, then a home game with Highlands on Jan. 29. 

9). St. Henry - (8-7) 

The Crusaders went 2-0 this past week with a win over Bishop Brossart 56-55, then a blowout win over Newport Central Catholic 76-45 where they showed just how improved they've become since the beginning of the season. They have two games this coming week, first a home game with Boone County on Jan. 27, and an away game with Bluegrass United (Lexington, Ky) Home School on Jan. 28. 

10). Beechwood - (6-10)

The Tigers had a big win this past week over Dixie Heights 60-57, then lost to Boone County 77-63. Beechwood has 3 games this coming week, first at Newport on Jan. 25, a home game with Conner on Jan. 26, then they travel to Aurora IN to face South Dearborn on Jan. 29. 

11). Holmes - (8-13)

12). Ryle - (8-13)

13). Newport Central Catholic - (5-13)

14). Newport - 5-11

15). Villa Madonna - (5-11)

16). Ludlow - (8-9)

17). Dayton - 9-8)

18). Heritage Academy - (5-9)

19). Bellevue - (2-14)

20). Covington Latin - (0-11)

• Like 3

Very nice write up!  I would say that it wouldn’t have hurt my feelings if you would have put Highlands #3 and Dixie #4.  I get that Dixie just beat Highlands by 5 at Dixie just 9 short days ago BUT the loss by Beechwood who is your current #10 ranked team in ranking purposes is I think a hard loss not to flip them below Highlands.

I know we are splitting hairs and if Dixie/Highlands played 10 times it’s probably a 50/50 split on who wins.

For the sake of arguing I say Highlands #3 and Dixie #4.

#GO BIRDS

• Like 1