Bluegrasspreps.com 10th Region Basketball WEEK 7 Review & Rankings

Week 7 Review & Rankings

Another week of basketball is in the books, and it seems this season has flown by! We are past the midway point and only have one more month until the postseason begins. I have to start with the breaking news this week: the 10th Region Tournament will be played at Holmes this season. I will say this is a shocker to most but if the 37th District wants to have it there and the rulebook allows it, then I say let’s roll the ball out and see who wins it. This will certainly give the 37th District a big home court advantage as some teams in the 10th will have to travel over 100 miles to get there. But the same is true for the 37th when they come down to GRC or Montgomery to play. The 37th is probably the best overall district in the region from top to bottom, but when it comes to picking the winner of the region, the 37th is probably on the bottom of the list as they don’t have a team ranked in the top 4 currently. Will having the tournament up north give them an advantage this year? Maybe this gives the 37th a slight edge in regions and can allow for a team in the 5-8 range of the rankings to come out on top? Maybe not, we will have to wait and see!

Rankings (Record, Change in ranking)

1.      George Rogers Clark (15-1, -)

2.      Mason County (15-4, -)

3.      Bracken County (13-5, -)

4.      Harrison County (10-5, -)

5.      Campbell County (8-9, -)

6.      Augusta (8-9, -)

7.      Calvary Christian (10-5, +1)

8.      Bishop Brossart (7-10, -1)

9.      Montgomery County (4-9, -)

10.   Robertson County (8-6, +1)

11.   Scott High (1-14, -1)

12.   Bourbon County (2-10, -)

13.   Paris (4-8, -)

14.   Nicholas County (5-11, -)

15.   Pendleton County (2-15, -)

16.   St. Patrick (2-14, -)

GRC leads the way, they destroyed two of their district opponents, winning the games by a combined 96 points. Mason County started the week off with a big win against Campbell County and they represented the 10th Region well in the 2A state tournament with a win against Calloway County and then a 2-point loss to a Lexington Catholic team who many consider to be a top 10 ten in the state. Bracken County! Bracken took home the 10th Region All-A Championship and you have to think they are going to have a good chance to repeat next season. They played plenty of tough competition as they beat Bishop Brossart and Calvary Christian easily on their way to punch their ticket to the All-A state tournament. Harrison County won three games this week and one big one as they solidify themselves into the fourth spot in the region. They face Bracken County next week and the winner will earn the #3 spot as the Thorobreds will try to leap over the Polar Bears in the rankings. Campbell County continues to trend downward as they took a couple tough losses this week. The theme of the Camel’s season stays the same as they keep it close against tough competition but never seem to be able to win in the end. Augusta had a rough week as they lost to Fleming. The Panthers are trying to keep their record around .500 as they drop to 8-9 on the year. They’ve struggled recently and it won’t get any easier as they have Harrison & Campbell County coming up this week. Calvary is still a team that has plenty of question marks for the region. Their great record is a little deceiving as they haven’t played the toughest schedule this season, but they continue to win many of the games they have and that’s all they can do. I am still not sure if they deserve to be in the top 10 at all or if they are on the edge of a top 5 or 6 team in the region. We will see about how much this team has improved as they face Ludlow this week, who they lost to earlier in the season.

Bishop Brossart is a team that has shown they play great defense, but at times they struggle to score the ball. I think Brossart is one of the teams that could upset someone come tournament time but it sure will be hard for them to make a deep run if they can’t find consistent scoring night to night. Montgomery county has had a rough go around as they have faced some tough competition all season long, but they still don’t really have a quality win either. Montgomery is a young team that has plenty of pieces, but I don’t think this is the year for them. If they make it to the region, they have a chance to win a game with a good draw, but it will be tough. With two 8th graders getting plenty of playing time along with a plethora of underclassmen, I look for them to be dangerous in a couple of years, just not this one. Robertson hops over Scott High in the rankings this week as they beat Lewis & Pendleton counties. Justin Becker continues to play well and is pushing this team to close to a .500 record. Robertson has a chance to make some strides this week as they face some tough competition in Augusta and Harrison County. Scott High continues to trend downward and quite frankly it’s disappointing. We know this team has plenty of talent and a tough schedule was put in place in hopes of helping get this team ready to make a run, but with the 1-14 start you have to think it’s tough for the kids to stay engaged. Regardless, if you’re looking to pick a longshot to make it to the regional semis, I think this would be the team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2