9th Region Preview and Updates

The day has come to start the journey of who will own the title of the deepest most competitive Region in the State of Kentucky.  I will now shamelessly utilize Maher Rankings for the rest of the Post Season.  I can factually state that the 9th Region is the most competitive Region in the State due to Maher Rankings having 7 teams in the Top 50!  That is 2 more then the next best Regions (which are Region 7 and 11 having only 5).  We are also the only Region with 3 teams in the Top 11 (NDA, Highlands & Dixie).  Very interesting that 2 of these games will feature a matchups that were not played in the Regular season.  

Let’s see what happens.  Tonight we will see 2 very competitive games and then I predict 2 not so competitive games.

The not so competitive games:

#1 NDA versus #41 NCC

• Reg season score NDA won 4-0

#17 Conner versus #64 Villa Madonna

• Did not play each other

The 2 games that will be fun to watch (which by the way you probably can on both Highlands and Dixie’s YouTube channel)

#6 Highlands versus #27 Ryle

• Did not play each other

#11 Dixie versus #36 Beechwood

• Dixie won 2-0 in the 2 to last game of the Regular season

I can’t wait!  Let the fun begin, good luck to all!!

Hopefully, the Sports Desk will be happily reporting the outcomes and synopsis late this evening.  Until then enjoy!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recap from the Extremely Happy Sports Desk from the 9th Region

Well was I wrong about tonight.  There was a lot of goals tonight but they only came from 1 team in each of the 4 games.  We had 4 shutouts!!!  Wonder when the last time the 9th Region started like that.  

#1 NDA beats #41 NCC, 5-0

• Anything to see here @Big Red, or was it a typical lopsided NDA game?

#17 Conner beats #64 Villa Madonna, 4-0

• thought this was an interesting tidbit, this victory puts Conner in the Regional Semis for the 1st time in program history, wow.  Your prize, NDA!

#11 Dixie beats #36 Beechwood, 3-0

• And just like that the high Beechwood had after a close game with NDA, they now are done.  Dixie’s Grace Gerding gets the Hat Trick.

#6 Highlands beats #27 Ryle, for the nights most lopsided score 6-0.

• Talk about an offensive PARTY.  These last 2 games the offensive talent on this team has flexed their muscles.  Tonight’s box score is led by Laney Smith with 2 goals, 2 assists, Chloe Bramble with 1 goal, 3 assists, Anna Melson with 2 goals, Kate Fausz with a goal and Claire Cavacini with an assist.  This game has been a complete 180 from the last week of Regular season where I saw way too many players playing “me” ball thinking they can dribble thru an army and find a shot.  Instead tonight just like District Finals game against NCC they are showing trust in their teammates with nice clean passes to runners that can finish with incredible shots.  They play like the last 160 minutes of soccer we will make this week very interesting.  Stay Focus, Trust your Teammates!  I love it, Go Birds!

See you all on Wednesday night:

#1 NDA versus #17 Conner, 5:30pm

#6 Highlands versus #11 Dixie, 7:30pm

Both games are played on the nice turf of Boone County High School

• Like 1

First, Impressive offensive showings by Highlands and Dixie vs. 2 good defenses.  I expected both to win, but clearly "flexing some muscle" in these games.

Yes, pretty typical game, and clean game.  Not many whistles.  New Cath played 1 player up top and the rest on def.  All but 1 of NDA's goal had to be well earned and were quality goals.  Coach went to the bench fairly early for him, which was good to see.

• Like 1

It’s GAME DAY BABY!!!!

#1 NDA versus #17 Conner, 5:30

• First meeting was a down right drubbing with NDA winning easily 6-0.  Does Conner have some magic for tonight to make this interesting or will this be more of the same with NDA punching their ticket for Saturday?

#6 Highlands versus #11 Dixie, 7:30

• This is a rematch from a very close 4-3 Highlands victory in a very cold and heavy rain evening a few weeks ago.  The big missing piece for the Birds that evening was Gessner did not play in goal at all.  I will have to admit Dixie did not come into that game as physical as I expected at the time.  For some reason I don’t think that will be the case tonight.  The weather won’t be a factor.  I have my fingers crossed for a good ref crew tonight that won’t let this get out of hand.  Highlands is peaking at the right time lately.  IF Highlands can avoid getting banged up I like the Birds chances…..

The one thing in the back of my mind is the potential of these girls thinking 1 game ahead.  It burnt the Pandas last year by getting upset by these Lady Colonels.  Stay focused and play today!

I can’t wait!

RECAP FROM LAST NIGHT

#1 NDA after a close battle in the 1st half only up 1-0, puts the hammer down in the 2nd half to crush Conner’s hopes for a miracle, winning 7-0.

#6 Highlands beats #11 Dixie, 2-1

• This turned out to be a mutual Battle Royale, I thought the physical play was only going to come from the Dixie side but Highlands was returning the blows back.  At some points it was getting really pushy, which resulted in some yellow cards being administered.
  • Highlands struck first with 2 big bombs, the first from Faith and then the 2nd from Claire, both from around 30 yards out, Faith was more central on the field and Claires was more wide where she plays Left Mid.  They were both perfectly placed shots that were over the head of Dixie’s keeper both times, who really didn’t have a chance at punching those shots over.
  • Dixie finally got on the board with getting awarded a PK with around 5 min to go, when Faith raised her foot to head level by a Dixie’s players face which also got Faith to earn a Yellow Card.  At first Meg was able to it looked like tip the shot to ricochet off the crossbar but Dixie was more ready to respond from the rebound and punched it in for their goal.
  • The 2nd half in my opinion felt like riding a “Mechanical Bull” at a country bar.  It was ugly to watch, it hurt a few times and at the end of the game nothing really happened but at the end you were thanking yourself that is over!

Dixie and Conner both had great seasons that they should be proud of!

I am going to rest up and provide commentary around the anticipated World War 3, probably tomorrow.

Until then enjoy the evening…..BIG TIME GAMES on the boys side with Ryle v. Dixie and Highlands v. Cov Cath..  Can Highlands make it a double date on Saturday?

• Like 1