Sign in to follow this  
se7ens

12th Region Boys Basketball Post-Season Wrap Up

I type this up as I patiently await the tip-off of the State Finals matchup. You might as well label this entry as the "Boyle County Praise Article," even if their season ended rather ugly at Rupp yesterday.

Boyle County's Trip to Rupp

The Rebels rightfully ended their season as one of the last 8 teams to be competing in the state. They got their one win of the trip with an opening round victory over Paintsville 70 to 56. Luke Sheperson led the way with 25 with Jagger Gillis getting 19 and Luke Imfeld 17. The Rebels did what they had to defensively, keeping all of the Paintsville shooters mostly in check and winning the game decisively inside. 

Friday was not so kind to Boyle County. The Rebel defense was futile on the perimeter against the hot-shooting Tomcats of Ashland. The final score was 80 to 44 in favor of Ashland. 

Top Players

Player of the year has to go to Kade Grundy of Somerset who did some remarkable things and set records for the Briar Jumpers. DeAjuan Stepp finished up his career for West Jessamine in impressive style as well. Sheperson and Imfeld stood out for a crowded Boyle County group. And even though a top 5 in this region is tough to do, and it can be argued that's no necessarily what I'm doing, I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't include Jaxon Smith, the heart and soul of the Lincoln County Patriots, who, after a rough start and some delays, hit all cylinders at the end of the season to fall just short of a trip to Rupp.

Dennie Webb

Coach of the Year discussion this year really should begin and end with Dennie Webb of Boyle County. After an up and down debut season that showed flashes of incredible potential, Webb's 2nd year showed what the Rebels are truly capable of under his leadership. 

Looking to next year

This part is the one I am sure there will be the most discussion on. With Smith back for Lincoln County, the Patriots are going to be just as dangerous as ever. Boyle returns Owen Barnes, Imfeld, and Hagan Webb but loses Gillis and Sheperson. West graduates Stepp but returns Daniel Waters and Gavin Salva. And don't sleep on Pulaski County, who returns Cayden Lancaster, Zach Travis, and Barek Williams. East Jessamine, Danville and Somerset will all have work to do to fill huge holes from graduation. 

Thanks for another great year. This is truly one of the most exciting regions to cover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm hearing Hayden and Ford will return for Danville, and Stepp for West Jessamine. Should be interesting! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

I'm hearing Hayden and Ford will return for Danville, and Stepp for West Jessamine. Should be interesting! 

That would put both right into the heart of the regional championship race.

Sign in to follow this