State Tournament

vbtalk

Here’s my annual reminder that the state tournament needs to be updated. “Because that’s how other sports do it” is a dumb reason to not change it. It should be seeded and expanded to 24 teams. Also needs to be rotated to different sites more regularly. Valley does a great job, no doubt. But families from other corners of the state shouldn’t have to travel every single year while families from 3 of the 16 regions never have to sleep away from their own homes to watch the tournament. Enjoy your offseason!

I agree with you 100%. If you look at other high school sports, the state tournament venue is usually played at a college facility. Basketball is played at Rupp arena. Football is played at Kroger field. Baseball is played at the Lexington Legends field. Why not take the state volleyball tournament and rotate it through all parts of Kentucky. Here is my idea. Western Kentucky University could host one year. Northern Kentucky University (Regents Hall) could host one year. University of Louisville one year. University of Kentucky (Memorial Coliseum) could host one year. These venues could also use it as a recruiting tool for their various programs. As far as expanding the tournament and seeding the tournament, this is long overdue. The state tournament in volleyball has become anti climatic and somewhat boring to watch. 12 of the 15 matches this year were 3 games to 0 sweeps. There needs to be better competition and expansion and seeding would enable this.