Passing of former Oldham County girls' coach Tony Simpson

This evening I've been informed - and the news was confirmed - that former Oldham County girls' Coach Tony Simpson passed away in his sleep last night.

No other details are available right now, but this is terribly sad news for the Oldham County community.

Simpson was an assistant coach on the boys team under Gary Forrest for years, then took over the girls' team at Oldham County when the job opened up. He enjoyed coaching the team, which included his daughter at the time. His teams were tough, disciplined, and generally pretty successful. His 2004-5 team went 21-8 and made the 8th region tournament.

But more than anything else, Tony was a great schoolteacher and an even better friend. He was my next door neighbor, and I personally will miss him terribly.

RIP, Tony. The world's going to be a little less sunny without you.

Colonel Mike

Sorry for your loss Colonel Mike!

Thanks, PacMule - I can't say enough good things about Tony. The positive impact this man had on his former students and players was immeasurable. This was a person who personally made it his mission to leave his piece of the world in a little better shape than he found it.

The world needs more Tony Simpsons.

CM

Just left the funeral home after the visitation. The place was absolutely packed - had to park in a nearby hardware store parking lot - including a "who's who" list of Oldham County coaches and players. The casket was draped with a huge University of Louisville blanket (Tony's favorite college team).

The massive turnout was a fitting tribute in itself to a coach who had made a difference in people's lives.