Basketball - defense

nees1212

Is the defense in the boys' games as atrocious as it is in the girls' games? It's a slap and reach fest in the nearly dozen girls' games that I've watched this year. Coaches are getting upset when reaching fouls are called. No-one moves their feet. No-one cuts off the sideline or baseline. Defenders ride the girl with the ball until a foul is called or she easily goes around for a layup. There isn't any space given to avoid either scenario, and coaches get mad when it happens. If I hear another coach yell "grab the ball" or "get the ball" while a girl is dribbling the ball, I'm going to pull my ears off. How about moving your feet, stepping out-of-bounds to cut off the sideline and baseline, properly defending the passing lanes, staying straight up instead of slapping, cutting off the strong side, etc. Teach the fundamentals instead of telling the girls to Bobby Boucher-it to get the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

The worse the team, the more they foul in general due to just poor fundamentals and trying to use their strength to overcome their lack of skill. This is what I see in the girls game. It tends to get better the older they get as you start to lose the kids that haven't played a lot of basketball.