Highlands 7 Boone County 2 (Scrimmage 5 Innings)

The Boone Co Rebels traveled to Ft Thomas tonight to take on the Ladybirds.

Senior Olivia Jackson started for Boone Co and 8th grader Gracie Schlosser threw for the Birds. Boone Co plated 1 in the top of the 1st and HHS went scoreless. However in the 2nd the Birds tied the Score and then took the Lead with a 2 Run Johnson by Soph Taylar Lorenzen.

Form there the Birds never looked back by scoring 3 more runs in the 3rd and another one in the 5th. Boone managed to score their other lone run in the 3rd.

Boone’s Karys Black took over for Jackson in the 4th & 5th While Highlands inserted 7th grader Kennedy Baioni who threw 2 scoreless innings.

Both squads JV teams pretty much took over from there and finished the 6th & 7th innings with Boone scoring 4 and HHS scoring 3.

What a great way to kick off the 2018 season! Both teams have a ton of work to do but it was nice to finally see some other Pitching outside of Practice. HHS opens at home this coming Tues against 10th region top dog Campbell Co.

It was definitely nice to visit "the cage" again. So many great memories there. With that being said I think the scrimmage indeed served its purpose. The Birds are hungry and played determined to show they want to return to the elite of the region. It also reminded our team while we are talented we lost a lot of experience and need to focus on coming together to have a great year. Hopefully that was a nice wake up call and I do think the Rebels will respond well

Side note, since I do coach Lorenzen in the summer I might have smiled a bit when she hit that homerun. Since it was just a scrimmage my reaction was definitely happiness. Not sure how I will respond in two weeks.....The joys of coaching high school and summer ball both.

Good luck to everyone this year!!!!!!