Russell's Line Play

Ram

Is the OL the only thing holding Russell back? It seems they have the skill players to be doing more on offense, but the scoring is just not there. Is there other things causing the offense to stall? Are we going to see a different philosophy on the OL for Russell in coming weeks? Is it just an experience thing? What's TJ doing to get the offense on track?

Pass protection has been a little sketchy so far. Smith is having to scramble a lot more than he'd probably like. The OL has good mobility, though. Confusion and missed assignments have been an issue at crucial moments, IMO.

I'd like to see Russell take more shots down the field. Smith's got a heck of an arm. I think Drey Boehm is underutilized as a deep threat and Ryan Stump presents a match-up problem down field with his big frame(6'3", 220lbs) and overall athleticism. There are big plays to be had in the passing game. More aggression with the play calling would be nice to see. And, as is the case with most teams, they need to cut back on the silly penalties and turnovers.

I hate being critical of TJ. I think very highly of him as a coach and a man. He's far more accomplished in this sport than I ever was. It's just frustrating to see this team struggle on offense like this.