11th Region Notebook for the week of December 28th

Team of the Week: Scott County – At the rate these guys are beating top competition, the Cardinals have become a team I can legitimately see winning the region. They defeated West Jessamine, LCA (for a second time this season) and Eastern to win the Woodford County Invitational.

Player of the Week: Isaiah Tisdale, Henry Clay – Led his team to 4 double digit wins at the Berea Invitational. Had 17 points and 12 rebounds in the championship game. Making a strong argument to be the best senior in the 11th.

Team Rankings

1. Henry Clay – 4-0 with 4 big wins combined with the Dunbar loss moves the Blue Devils into the top spot this week. Assuming they beat Caverna tonight, they will face Trinity tomorrow (Monday) night in the quarterfinals of the Traditional Bank Tournament at Lex Cath. That game will show us a lot about the potential of this Blue Devil team.

2. Dunbar – Rough week for the Bulldogs as they take their first 2 losses in the King of the Bluegrass. They face John Hardin Monday night in the Traditional Bank quarterfinals.

3. Scott County – Leading the region with 11 wins but its hard to move them ahead of Dunbar at this point. According to the schedule, they are off until January 5th. If anyone knows differently, please post below.

4. Lafayette – The Generals had a bye week to get ready for the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops classic. They faced the always dangerous TBA on Sunday night to start tournament play.

5. Lexington Christian – Went 2-1 and lost by 19 to Scott County in Woodford County last week. Beat UHA by 30+ to start the Lake Cumberland tournament thing. If Kyle Rode continues scoring 20+ a game, they may finally get the signature win they are lacking.

6. Bryan Station – Winners of 4 in a row, Station is finally getting a little momentum. Tim Dunn has stepped up admirably in the absence of DeAndre Dishman. The Defenders face the perennially overrated Cordia Lions on Monday afternoon at Lex Cath.

7. Lexington Catholic – I should put the Madison schools ahead of the Knights but I don’t think Central or Southern can beat Lex Cath right now. So I will continue ranking them too high until they either prove me right or wrong.

8. Madison Southern – With a record of 8-2 over their last 10 games, the Eagles appear to have a little traction and some upward momentum.

9. Madison Central – Had a nice 14 point win over what I suspect is a very overrated Paris team. They continue play at the Gateway Holiday Classic in Mt. Sterling on Monday.

10. Frankfort – They’ve dropped 7 of 9 since starting the year 3-0. But their district is terrible and Anthony Robinson is the best player in that district. So they stay at the top of the bottom of the region.

11. Woodford County – Steadily improving, these Yellow Jackets nearly upset LCA last week. Scott Hundley is an excellent coach and will have his kids ready for when the games matter in February.

12. Franklin County – Winners of 4 in a row, this young group of Flyers appears to be learning how to win. They play at the Henry County invitational starting Monday.

13. Model – Sitting at 4-5 right now, they have beaten everyone they should and dropped every game you would expect them to. They open play at the Red River Classic on Monday morning.

14. Sayre – Junior Jake Duby is doing all he can, but not getting a lot of help. He’s averaging over 25 PPG and shooting 44% from 3.

15. Tates Creek - They sit at the bottom of the region in wins at 1-8, but they are playing a brutal schedule. Tates is probably 2 years away from even thinking about being a region contender.

16. Western Hills – Only 2-7 but they are at least being competitive. At a perennial doormat like Western Hills, just being competitive is a major step up.

17. Berea – Their 4 wins are over 3 of the worst teams in KY and the Kentucky School for the Deaf. They are 0-2 at the Cumberland Falls Invitational with another 2 games to go this week.

In Closing, there are some great games at Lexington Catholic on Monday. Get out and see Dunbar, Clay, Station and Lex Cath if you can! Could be the 11th region semifinalists right there.