Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Player development

Featured Replies

I am posting this because I do not want to hijack another thread where a member posed this same issue but was off the main topic of that thread.

 

Where should player development occur? Should high school soccer be a place to develop players or should players be ready to integrate into a high school system by the time they reach high school?

 

I have seen coach loyalty to older, lesser skilled players backfire when those players were unable to help the team in competitive matches. Especially late in a season when injuries have taken a toll and subs play a major role. I have also watched games where very skilled younger players who have not physically developed enough in terms of size and strength, have gotten pushed around to the point that their skills were effectively neutralized.

 

Your thoughts?

It's a balance that a majority of schools have to strike. And even those few schools with excess players who play club soccer have to make some judgments about who can help this year versus who has more long-term development potential.

Define "development" in your scenario please. That would have an impact on how I might answer the question.

  • Author

I would define it as preparing a player to play against the top competition at a given level. For high school, that would mean, should the player be skilled enough to compete against top high school teams when they get to high school, or should a high school coach have to take the responsibility to teach those skills in the few months they have during a season?

Good question that I think honestly depends on the makeup of the kids in your program. Not everyone at most high schools competes in club soccer at a high level. Some choose to play select soccer because they want to do other things like play basketball, softball, swim, dance or whatever else interests them. I would bet there are very few high schools in NKY where soccer is the primary sport.

 

Given this scenario, I would think that there would be little need to teach soccer "skills" at the high school level. Hone skills, yes; Teach skills, not so much. Once tryouts are over and teams are set, each practice should have a specific purpose, like set pieces, corner kicks, defending set pieces and whatever else the coach desires.

 

Small sided scrimmages at the end of each practice can emphasize what was covered that particular day. Each and every high school coach has their own ideas of what they want to do on the pitch, but teaching basic techniques like dribbling, passing, one-touch, heading with purpose and whatever else you like are not necessary as all high school aged kids should have already honed those skills at a younger age.

I think of "development" in terms of younger players adjusting to the speed and physicality of playing against older, more developed (physically, technically you hope) players. Making quicker decisions and moving into good spaces b/c they won't have the ability to drive past defenders like they may have in their age group.

 

For older players, I would think it is improving their understanding of the game, what the tactics of the team are, and fine tuning techniques.

 

I don't think that a high school coach can take the time to teach the basics and "coach up" a player to become a huge offensive contributor. Maybe defensive contributor, but not offensive. Coaches can't undo 8 years of ineffective coaching completely in the limited time that they have with the player. It is on the player to develop in their free time.

  • Author

It seems more and more that players coming into the top high school programs without good club soccer backgrounds, are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to playing time and even making a team. There are always exceptions but the players that decide early on to concentrate on soccer and play year round are generally the high school standouts. These player need little to no development once they reach high school and are able to adapt to new styles and formations easily. I think the same is true in volleyball.

It seems more and more that players coming into the top high school programs without good club soccer backgrounds, are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to playing time and even making a team. There are always exceptions but the players that decide early on to concentrate on soccer and play year round are generally the high school standouts. These player need little to no development once they reach high school and are able to adapt to new styles and formations easily. I think the same is true in volleyball.

 

Agreed to a certain extent. The issue with playing year round is that their bodies start to break down. Hear more and more of knee injuries, stress fractures, ankle injuries, on down the line because of the emphasis on one sport.

It seems more and more that players coming into the top high school programs without good club soccer backgrounds, are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to playing time and even making a team. There are always exceptions but the players that decide early on to concentrate on soccer and play year round are generally the high school standouts. These player need little to no development once they reach high school and are able to adapt to new styles and formations easily. I think the same is true in volleyball.

And baseball and basketball. It's not so much playing one organized sport year round as much as it is not getting into another activity to change movement patterns and strengthen antagonistic muscle groups, which lead to pretty big muscle imbalances. Social balance can also be lost if kids don't have something outside of their sport of choice. Both of those lead to physical and mental burn-out.

 

That being said, continually sharpening a technique is the key. Club coaching can help a player learn the proper steps to receive a ball under pressure, close control, but it doesn't matter if the player isn't willing to develop on his own.

  • Author

No doubt that the chance if injuries is greater when there is a one sport concentration. I think this is now being recognized and many clubs are emphasizing cross training and muscle group specific exercise in order to try to limit those injuries. The jury is still out on how it is working.

No doubt that the chance if injuries is greater when there is a one sport concentration. I think this is now being recognized and many clubs are emphasizing cross training and muscle group specific exercise in order to try to limit those injuries. The jury is still out on how it is working.

 

Kings Hammer Academy does EPT (elite performance training) for its Academy players. My boys just started martial arts (Muay Thai) to give them something else since they aren't doing bball this winter. I'm hoping to avoid the issues that plague a ton of the players.

I always wanted my daughter to continue dancing and/or playing basketball and she chose soccer only. Her body took a beating as a result. Avulsion fracture of the hip, torn PCL, strained MCL, numerous ankle injuries. Martial arts is an interesting one, but I can certainly see the benefits.

I always wanted my daughter to continue dancing and/or playing basketball and she chose soccer only. Her body took a beating as a result. Avulsion fracture of the hip, torn PCL, strained MCL, numerous ankle injuries. Martial arts is an interesting one, but I can certainly see the benefits.

 

It is more boxing and leg kicks. I am hoping that that and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will improve back, upper body strength while creating a different stress on their legs. We will see. At worst, they will learn practical self defense.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.