Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2015 LIVT Seeding

Featured Replies

I never understand the seeding for some of these tournaments. I know it must be hard with teams losing to each other but it would seem that the seeds are much out of whack from where I thought they would be.

 

#1 - SHA (Lost to NDA, beat AHS and Mercy)

#2 - Assumption (Lost to SHA, beat Mercy)

#3 - NDA (Lost to Mercy, beat SHA)

#4 - McAuley (Undefeated @ 4-0, nationally ranked powerhouse)

#5 - Mercy (Lost to AHS and SHA, beat NDA)

#6 - Walton (GA)

#7 - Hillcrest (TN)

#8 - St. Joseph's (MO)

 

I would have flipped the script and had McAuley as the #1 seed, NDA as the 2, SHA as the 3, AHS as the 4, and Mercy as the 5. However, I know there are politics and personal reasons for the schedule being the way it is. Assumption already has McAuley on their schedule for later this year the day before the McAuley Chicago tournament so I would assume they seeded themselves as the 2 and 4 so they dont have to play unless it is in the championship (or 3rd place game) since they are also in the Chicago tourney too. Also, I would assume since AHS only gets to see NDA once this year, they seeded them 3rd so they have a chance to play them again in the semis to get a chance to match up with them and prep themselves if they get to state (gotta beat SHA first).

 

Other teams:

 

Walton (GA): 7-0 record - They have a relatively tall roster so we will see what happens if they match up with NDA in the first match of the 2nd day, historically GA volleyball hasn't been as competitive as KY (we saw the same when the national power Cardinal Gibbons (NC) came to town and lost to 3 KY teams in a weekend (including an average North Oldham team)

 

Briarcrest (TN): 16-1 Record - Tennessee plays a ton of games (50+) and that, coupled with a good win-loss record for a few of them, consistantly find a team or two ranked in the top 25 nationally even though they dont play the best of competition. In the past, Mercy has went to TN and swept through anybody they have played. Hopefully they can bring some more depth to the tourney, would be a matchup for AHS if they advance. Im sure Ron did his homework and gave himself a good match-up.

 

St. Josephs (MO): 4-1 Record - regular in attendance to the LIVT and typically have been semi competitive but not over the top. Things wont get competitive until the 2nd matchup on Saturday (minus the Mercy v McAuley match on the first match Sat morning).

 

Thoughts on this? Predictions?

It's Ron's tourney, in his building, so of course it's going to be seeded to have Assumption vs Sacred Heart in finals - it generates the most $$$. I predict a school from KY wins it.

I've heard his seeding rationale was game percentage in head to head matches for SH, Assumption, NDA and Mercy. Makes sense to me since they all have a match loss against one or the other.

  • Author

Odds are in your favor that a school from KY wins it.

 

However, I predict that McAuley beats SHA in the semis and Notre Dame beats Assumption in the other Semi. McAuley beats NDA in the final and SHA beats Assumption for 3rd. Mercy will finish 5th due to the buzz saw of McAuley that they will run into in the quarters.

  • Author

believe it or not that works out...

 

(In head to head only - all have played each other once - minus AHS and NDA)

SHA - 8 sets won, 5 lost

AHS - 4 sets won, 3 lost

ND - 5 sets won, 5 lost

Mercy - 4 sets won, 8 lost

 

...then he simply inserted McAuley where it made the most sense for his agenda.

I think McAuley's seeding is about right. they lost a lot from last year and are ranked behind the top 3 teams on PrepVolleyball's rankings

 

I'm still not sure who's the best of the 4 big KY schools. We'll probably have a better idea after this weekend

For SHA to win it all, Paige is going to have to take a lot of good swings. Fatigue may become a factor. I see AHS beating NDA in 3 in the semis and in 2 over SHA in the finals.

  • Author

That may be true, but she wont need to take that many swings until McAuley in the semis due to the level of competition they face. If Coach Garvey is smart, he will rotate her out at the end of games and even when she is in the back row to help preserve her arm and stamina.

 

Say what you want about Assumption, in all of the games I have seen them play, they have just not been impressive to me. They dont have as many talented hitters as usual, though I do like their middles, and their defense and ball control isnt good enough to overcome a lot of that. I dont think they can get past NDA. I guess time will tell.

 

Good luck to all!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.