How much time does your coach spend with he Freshman and JV teams?

Z89

This thread isn't for any Highlands fans. Just kidding. Was wondering for the schools that have freshman and JV teams how much does the Varsity coach spend developing those teams. Not to name schools but ours seems to only worry about the varsity. He hardly ever includes them in the preseason work outs or other activities. This is only my option but our coach seems like he hopes for a young super start or two to come in every year to field his Varsity team. My girls are past the freshman team and are on varsity so it's not personal. Our freshman team is lucky to have a full week of practice due to the coach not being able to make it. It's very frustrating to be one of the few schools to have enough to field a team and then they are treated like the don't exists even though they are the future of the program. Maybe I'm wrong in feeling this way but it drives me nuts.

The guys who the run the boys program are great. The boys team practices together and they are always pushing them in practice and you can tell they are all part of the program and not just another team sharing the fields and equipment. I know i didn't give a lot of detail of what goes on but just wanted to get everyone's thought on how the non varsity teams are treated at other schools.

At our school, everyone does preseason workouts together. But once the teams are set, the teams practice separate. We have 3 varsity coaches and we have 3 JV coaches. We do not have a freshman team. But when we play games the varsity head coach sits on the JV bench.

According you can not have all three teams practice together unless they are all in HS. Also some coaches don't have the time to run three teams. Most head coaches know who they want to develop off the lower teams for next years varsity. If you run a program you are looking towards the future with your younger kids but also understand club soccer helps greatly with their development so you encourage them to play for CUP, KHA Academy teams, Ohio Elite, CSA, etc on their very best teams. Not the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th level teams.

I don't think kids or parents on the Freshman or JV teams should expect the Varsity coach to spend a lot of time with their teams. This is what the freshman and jv coaches are there for. These coaches train and evaluate their teams and then report to the varsity coach, letting them know who the standouts are and who may need additional work to help the team. 3 teams, 1 system.

Don't most teams practice separately, but at the same location and time? I don't think anyone would expect the Varsity coach(es) to spend a lot of time during practice with JV or Freshman, but I would rhink running a training session once or twice during the season would both help the Varsity coach evaluate and reinforce what the JV and Frosh teams are doing, while also giving the younger kids a greater sense of connection. If there is a Varsity Assistant, they're presumably qualified to train Varsity a couple times during the fall while the head coach spends a practice with JV or frosh. Not that it's necessary, just seems pretty easy to do with a lot of benefit for the program.

As for games, it's not too hard for the Varsity coach to be on the JV bench for at least the 2nd half of the JV game if Varsity plays after JV. Same goes for JV coach sitting on the Freshman bench. They'd be at the field while their Captains are stretching and warming up the team on rhe side until the on-field pre-game warmup. Seems like a no-brainer and probably the norm. No?

As for games, it's not too hard for the Varsity coach to be on the JV bench for at least the 2nd half of the JV game if Varsity plays after JV. Same goes for JV coach sitting on the Freshman bench. They'd be at the field while their Captains are stretching and warming up the team on rhe side until the on-field pre-game warmup. Seems like a no-brainer and probably the norm. No?

Likely not the norm for teams playing at fields without lights. Lack of daylight prevents the triple headers and the Frosh games are played on different day and/or different field.

Likely not the norm for teams playing at fields without lights. Lack of daylight prevents the triple headers and the Frosh games are played on different day and/or different field.

Definitely true true for schools like NCC, Holy Cross, Brossart or others thst are short on facilities, but don"t they get to play quite a few tri-matches for away games at schools with lights?

Definitely true true for schools like NCC, Holy Cross, Brossart or others thst are short on facilities, but don"t they get to play quite a few tri-matches for away games at schools with lights?

Not sure about other schools but no tri-matches listed on the schedule for the Lady Breds this year...8 game schedule.

Thanks for all the input. I just get the feeling that our Varsity coach only really cares about his current varsity team. The boys program is completely different and much stronger program as far as how they practice and the effort and the willingness to bust there butts to get better at all levels compared to our girls program and the way they feel about it. I know a lot of parents on the boys side that also have girls playing see the big difference the way the boys program is run. I guess all coaches run programs or teams different.