Cov Cath/Dixie Predictions

Yellow Card

I agree. Subs should be the term used, not reserves. Most of that bench is talented, but just not quite at starting level, and they perform really well when they get on the field, sometimes every bit as well as the starters.

I disagree. I don't find anything derogatory about the term "reserve". It is merely a player that the coach has chosen to reserve to play later in the game. There is no connotation that they are a lesser player at all. It could be that the player is just as good as the players who start out on the field, but the coach has chosen to hold them until conditions were more favorable to play this person. Maybe the coach wants to play up their speed by allowing the other players to wear out the defense for 15 minutes or whatever the situation.

You are free to use your preferred terminology, but in my opinion "reserve" refers to anyone who doesn't start the game on the field. I don't think that it slights anyone.

I disagree. I don't find anything derogatory about the term "reserve". It is merely a player that the coach has chosen to reserve to play later in the game. There is no connotation that they are a lesser player at all. It could be that the player is just as good as the players who start out on the field, but the coach has chosen to hold them until conditions were more favorable to play this person. Maybe the coach wants to play up their speed by allowing the other players to wear out the defense for 15 minutes or whatever the situation.

You are free to use your preferred terminology, but in my opinion "reserve" refers to anyone who doesn't start the game on the field. I don't think that it slights anyone.

Reserve is the correct term to use in soccer at least so I agree. Some people may feel slighted by that but it's just a term that is used.