Cooper 11 Holmes 4

Hellbird

I know this was a cold and somewhat ugly game from what I here. A win is a win though.

Really wasn't ugly on Cooper's side. Holmes had some issues at times but nothing major that would of made a difference in the game. Cooper still has their bats going good and starting a lot of bench players for this game was good to see what they could do.

Colin Hathorne made his debut after having to sit out 2 games for the ridiculous suspension from the district tourney game last year and waited until his 3rd at bat to knock a deep fly ball off the fence for a triple.

Cooper went through 4 pitchers which may have been more than they wanted but in the cold like that it was what it was. Alex Holland came in for the last 1 2/3 inning to shut down Holmes and was really throwing good.

3 Games in and the coach I believe still hasn't used all his pitchers yet which is always a good sign for the arms. Not sure of how many more pitchers but I know of 3 and a possible 4 more that still hasn't been seen yet. 2 of them starters.

Coach Collins is off to a 2-1 start with a big game this Saturday against Beechwood weather permitting.

With Dunn and Hathorne on the hill, 12 seniors, this is the year for Cooper to make some noise. With Conner running away with the Highlands game, Ganns and Boone's hot bats, the district is up for grabs this year.

It really should be fun. Cooper is hitting better than they have ever hit this early in the season. I don't have the official numbers but they have to be averaging double digit hits in every one of their games so far which is very encouraging. It's nice not to be living and dying by small ball like they had the last 2 years. They even had a nice suicide squeeze that worked to perfection yesterday. They use the small ball but not an automatic like it was the last 2 years when it seemed everytime someone got on base no matter what the situation or the outs were, they would be laying down bunts. This year it's been fun to watch. They are swinging away and scoring runs. Fun to see. Alex Holland is really having a great start to the season. I know in the Highlands game he was 2-4 and I think an RBI or 2, and the Brosart game he had 6 RBI's. He is having fun and it shows.

I heard they did this with some of the normal starters not even playing. That seems pretty good no matter what team you play. Good game to see what some of the other players have to offer IMO.

Yes. They played as many backups as they had I believe.

It was a really good sign that the hitting continued even in the cold. The ball died off the bat and even then Hathorn still sent one to the fence.