Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Umpire Positioning on Play at the Plate

Featured Replies

Had a question that came up in a Little League game for a team I'm helping coach.

 

There's a play at the plate and the throw is coming from left field. The throw is basically on line (inside the diamond). Where should the umpire assume a position to make the call?

 

I ask because in our game, the umpire came out and up the third base line, at most maybe two to three steps outside of the foul line. The kid who was running tried to go outside of him, and ended up getting tagged out. He was running from second base and had a lot of momentum built up, and being a passive kid, tried to go outside of the ump. Was the umpire out of position here?

 

I didn't argue the call or anything, but tried to build the kid back up by telling him that it was alright because the umpire had taken a bad angle and I understood that it blocked his path. The play made no difference in the game, and we still won, but I was just wondering whether or not the umpire took the proper position, and if not, where he should have been. I'm thinking that he was correct to be up the third base line, but probably could have been back further into foul territory.

Had a question that came up in a Little League game for a team I'm helping coach.

 

There's a play at the plate and the throw is coming from left field. The throw is basically on line (inside the diamond). Where should the umpire assume a position to make the call?

 

I ask because in our game, the umpire came out and up the third base line, at most maybe two to three steps outside of the foul line. The kid who was running tried to go outside of him, and ended up getting tagged out. He was running from second base and had a lot of momentum built up, and being a passive kid, tried to go outside of the ump. Was the umpire out of position here?

 

I didn't argue the call or anything, but tried to build the kid back up by telling him that it was alright because the umpire had taken a bad angle and I understood that it blocked his path. The play made no difference in the game, and we still won, but I was just wondering whether or not the umpire took the proper position, and if not, where he should have been. I'm thinking that he was correct to be up the third base line, but probably could have been back further into foul territory.

Not enough information. Was the batted ball a hit? Was anyone else on base? I'm assuming one ump, but to be sure is that the case?

  • Author
Not enough information. Was the batted ball a hit? Was anyone else on base? I'm assuming one ump, but to be sure is that the case?

 

Yes. Only one ump. It was a batted ball. Other runner was in to third base standing up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.