Ram's Notebook 9/9

Ram

After going 4-2 last week, Ram is back with his predictions this week.

Ram's Notebook will look at match-ups for the North-Eastern Kentucky area, which includes the following teams: Boyd County, East Carter, Fairview, Lawrence County, Lewis County, Raceland, Russell, and West Carter.

Raceland (3-1) vs. Portsmouth East, OH

After seeing over 100 points scored in the game last year, and Raceland getting a little home cooking in Portsmouth, the Portsmouth East Tartans will travel to Raceland this year. The Tartans have some nice athletes and will be a formative opponent but look for Raceland to move to 4-1 after this week. Portsmouth runs their zone read and utilizes their quarterback to run the ball a lot. Raceland didn’t anticipate this last year after being sent a JV tape during the trade instead of a varsity tape. But, the Tartans won’t fool the Rams this year, look for a little revenge to take place in Ram Stadium.

Raceland 34 Portsmouth East 14

Russell (1-2) vs. Boyd County (2-1)

Russell has taken their beating the last two weeks after playing Ironton, OH and Ashland, both teams put up some big numbers against the Red Devils. But, those games are over. And Boyd County is not Ashland or Ironton. However, the Lions do seem to play their best games against the Red Devils over the years. Boyd County coming into the game with two wins and the attitude that they can win this game. Couple that with the fact that Boyd County’s coach from a year ago, Lee Evans, and their quarterback from a year ago, Lance Evans (Lee’s son), are now both lining up on the Russell side of the ball this year will make this game a little more special for both teams. But, I just can’t find a way for the Lions to win this game.

Russell 35 Boyd County 14

Greenup County (0-3) vs. Grant County

Greenup’s Defense is allowing 47 points a game and their offense is scoring about 12 points a game. The Musketeers are on a 15 game loosing streak and I just can’t see them winning a game this season. What does Grant County have? It really doesn’t matter, they have already won a game this year and will win their second this week. The one thing Greenup has going for them is, this is a home game. Will that be enough for a Musketeer victory? I don’t think so, but they need every advantage they can get.

Greenup County 17 Grant County 28

Ashland (4-0) at Ironton, OH

Ashland is on a roll, they are putting up some big numbers on offense and allowing low numbers on defense. Ironton is a good team and not allowing much from other teams either. This should be a great high school football game. To close to call? Just about. I think Ironton might be a little over confident playing at home and knowing they are playing the Tomcats. I don’t think Ashland has won at Ironton is about 30 years. I’m hoping for that to end this year.

Ashland 21 Ironton 20

Fairview (3-0) vs. Casey County

Fairview had last week off and should have their “New found” talent ready to play after getting a court injunction to overturn the KHSAA ineligible findings. So, expect the Eagles to be fired up and ready to make a statement. Unfortunately for Casey County, they are in the line of fire. Fairview will be home and Casey County will be coming into Westwood facing a big home crowd and a new Fairview. Fairview can’t loose this one if they plan to go deep in the playoffs. NOTE: Fairview's opponents are 3-13 on the season, strength of schedule could doom the Eagles.

Fairview 48 Casey County 14

Lawrence County (2-2) vs. Letcher County Central

Normally if you put 49 points on the board you are pretty darn happy, unless you let your opponent put 50 points on the board. That is what happened to Lawrence County last week. The Dawg offense scored 49 points, but the defense now looks weak letting Perry County Center score 50 in a heart breaking defeat. I think the Bulldogs come out with something to prove this week and the defense will take it out on Letcher County Central. The Dawgs bounce back and go over .500.

Lawrence County 28 Letcher County Central 7

East Carter (0-4) at Fleming County

East has started the season out in the hole and they will have a very hard time of digging their way out of it this week. The Raiders have only scored in double digits once this year, against Fairview. East Carter is allowing 30 points a game. Fleming County will score often against the porous Raider defense. East Carter will move to 0-4. Fleming will improve to 3-2.

East Carter 7 Fleming County 35

West Carter (0-4) - Open

The comets will, more then likely, not win a game in 2012. They will be open this week in preparation of the second half of the season. I hope they are able to make some adjustments to get them ready to surprise someone. I think Football in Olive Hill is in jeopardy

Lewis County (1-3) - Open

The Lions will be off this week and working on what is in need of fixing. They have only won one game, but they have been in all their games and have not been blown out. They could surprise some of their district mates. The district is really wide open and Lewis County could end up in the second position very easily.

Edited by Ram

Ram went 5-2 this week with Ashland and Lawrence County being the stumbling blocks. Ram now has an overall record of 9-4.

Ram's Picks…………………………………………………....…..Game Results

Raceland 34 Porthsmouth East 14………………...……Raceland 60 Porthsmouth East 8

Russell 35 Boyd County 14…………………………….…..Russell 35 Boyd County 6

Greenup County 17 Grant County 28…………….…..Greenup County 0 Grant County 26

Ashland 21 Ironton 20…………………………………..……Ashland 17 Ironton 27

Fairview 48 Casey County 14…………………...……….Fairview 69 Casey County 29

Lawrence County 28 Letcher County Central 7…Lawrence County 23 Letcher County Central 46

East Carter 7 Fleming County 35………………………East Carter 14 Fleming County 35

North-Eastern Kentucky Teams:

Raceland…………...(4-1)……...#5 1A

Fairview……………..(4-0)……..#8 1A

Ashland……………...(4-1)……..#4 4A

Russell………………..(2-2)

Greenup County...(0-3)

Lawrence County..(2-3)

East Carter………...(0-5)

West Carter………..(0-4)

Lewis County……..(1-3)

Boyd County……...(2-2)