Dixie 6 Highlands 4

jpa2825

at Dixie in the Doc Morris Tournament

Sorry for the delayed post. Prom and other priorities after the game yesterday.

Well played game by both sides. Very solid pitching by JR Gabe Schultz for HHS and a strong inning of relief by FR Mitchell Jones.

HHS was up 1 and then gave up 4 runs in the top of the 4th. They answered with 3 in the bottom half of the inning to tie it, sparked by a towering home run by SR Mitch Meyer.

Dixie scored 2 in the top of the 7th to go ahead. HHS threatened in the bottom, but couldn't push across a run.

FR Luke Hennigan had 2 or 3 solid hits for the birds and JR Quentin Murray was a key defensive presence behind the plate. Also, a couple of nice defensive plays by SO Mitch Gesenhues at 3B early in the game kept Dixie in check.

Birds are off tomorrow and back at Highland Park with games against Scott on TUE and Holmes on WED before travelling to Lloyd on FRI.

Mitchell Jones is going to be the anchor of that staff over the next several years

I talked to Coach Baioni on Saturday and he told me Jones is hitting 80mph, not too shabby for a frosh. Not sure how consistent he is hitting it but sounds like he has a nice young arm.

After a slow start, Mitch Meyer is on a tear. He is squaring up the ball and hitting it hard to all fields. I am very happy for him. It's not easy being the only senior in the every day lineup. He is a fantastic leader. His positive attitude and leadership will have a great effect on the program long after he graduates.