Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Harlan County 57 Whitley County 18

Featured Replies

Harlan County Black Bears 57 Whitley County 18 Final Score.

HC was totally dominate in this one from the beginning. WC seemed flat and emotionally spent after their opening round win. The traveling seemed to take a toll. Harlan is a very good football team. Good job Coach Larkey. I am proud of Coach Black, the kids and coaching staff for great turn around this year. Staring 1-5 and finishing 6-6 with the first playoff road win in program history is something the community should be proud of. Thanks for a great season. HC good luck in your re-match with Pulaski.

  • Author

By JOHN MIDDLETON

 

Sports Editor

 

The Harlan County Black Bears had heard all week about how much Whitley County has improved since the regular season matchup in September.

 

After a 57-18 victory over the visiting Colonels in the second round of the Class 5A playoffs Friday, it appears Harlan County has improved quite a bit as well.

 

“That’s all I’ve heard about was Whitley County getting better and they were 100 percent. I felt like we were getting better, but we weren’t 100 percent,” said Harlan County coach Tom Larkey. “I think our team just has the right kind of attitude right now, that they just want to go out and win football games.”

 

The Bears elected to receive to open the game and quickly established that they were going to be the more physical team.

 

Junior tailback Marcus McMillian and quarterback Jordy Brewer teamed for seven straight carries that drove the ball to the Whitley 10, before Brewer went in on a quarterback keeper with 8:12 remaining in the first quarter. McMillian ran in the two-point conversion to make the score 8-0.

 

McMillian had 129 yards on 17 carries to lead the Bears. Sophomore Jake Middleton added 67 yards on five carries and Brewer had 58 yards on 11 carries.

 

The Colonels responded on their opening possession.

 

After a big return by senior Cody Bowlin moved the ball to Harlan County’s 38, senior fullback Cody Bramlett took over by carrying the ball four times for 21 yards before scoring on a 6-yard run with 4:24 left in the opening period.

 

Bramlett had 87 yards on 23 carries to power Whitley County in the loss.

 

Bowlin failed to run in the two-point conversion and Harlan County stayed on top 8-6.

 

Any momentum generated by the Colonels’ drive was quickly erased as McMillian broke free up the middle and raced to the Whitley 2. Whitley County (6-6) stuffed the Bears on the first three downs, but McMillian went up the middle on fourth and one for his first touchdown of the night. Jenkins added the extra point to make the score 15-6.

 

“Marcus knew he had to play a good game. He has really matured and come along a lot here in the last few games,” Larkey said. “He made some NFL moves out there tonight. I was real proud of him. I don’t teach that kind of stuff, that’s just him.”

 

Harlan County (10-2) quickly extended the lead by capitalizing on Whitley County’s inability to take care of the football.

 

The Bears regained possession after a fumble recovery by sophomore Jake Middleton at the Harlan County 39. McMillian broke free two plays later and outraced everyone for a 53-yard touchdown. Jenkins’ extra point pushed the lead 22-6.

 

Brewer returned an interception by Whitley’s Travis Inman to the Harlan County 29-yard line on the ensuing possession.

 

Brewer then found sophomore Austin Maggard all alone down the middle for a 24-yard touchdown strike with 10:07 left in the second quarter. Jenkins nailed the extra point to stretch the lead to 29-6.

 

However, Whitley answered on its next possession. Inman found receiver Justin Goins streaking down the sidelines for a 37-yard reception down to the Bears’ 10-yard line. Chute raced around the left side for a touchdown on the following play to close the gap to 29-12.

 

As they did throughout the night, Harlan County quickly answered. Brewer found Maggard on another long pass play, this time for 40 yards, and McMillian capped a 53-yard drive with a 3-yard plunge with 7:25 remaining. Jenkins’ extra point made the score 36-12.

 

“I’m real pleased tonight that we were a little successful throwing it,” Larkey said.

 

Sophomore Aaron Caldwell recovered the kick at the Whitley 27 to give the ball back to Harlan County to open the second half.

 

McMillian ran it in from 27 ards on the following play for his fourth score of the night. Jenkins added the extra point to put the Bears on top 43-12.

 

Whitley closed the gap to 43-18 after Goins scooped up a McMillian fumble at the Harlan County 15-yard line and went in untouched with 5:45 left in the third quarter.

 

Middleton and freshman Cory Chorak each added touchdown runs for Harlan County in the fourth quarter.

 

The Bears will play host to Pulaski County in the regional championship game on Friday. The Maroons downed Harlan County 40-7 in the season opener.

 

“There are too many things going for us for us to stop. Not too many times do you get all of these playoff games at home and not too many times do you have a football team like this and have an opportunity to play for a regional championship,” Larkey said. “ I hope they come up here to our house and think they can handle us the same way again. They’re healthy and playing good football. We just have to work hard this week going into that game. They have some great athletes and a lot of seniors that play and we’re still pretty young.”

 

———

 

Whitley Co. 6 6 6 0 — 18

 

Harlan Co. 22 14 7 14 — 57

 

HC — Brewer 10 run (McMillian run)

 

WC — Bramlett 6 run (run failed)

 

HC — McMillian 1 run (Jenkins kick)

 

HC — McMillian 53 run (Jenkins kick)

 

HC — Maggard 24 pass from Brewer (Jenkins kick)

 

WC — Chute 10 run (run failed)

 

HC — McMillian 3 run (Jenkins kick)

 

HC — McMillian 27 run (Jenkins kick)

 

WC — Goins 15 fumble return (run failed)

 

HC — Middleton 3 run (Jenkins kick)

 

HC — Chorak 5 run (Jenkins kick)

 

WCHS HCHS

 

First downs 8 13

 

Rushes-yards 39-110 43-284

 

Passing 33 65

 

Comp-Att-Int 2-6-1 3-4-65-0

 

Punts-Avg 2-34 0-0

 

Fumbles-Lost 6-2 2-2

 

Penalties-Yards 4-35 5-32

 

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

 

RUSHING—Whitley County, Cody Bramlett 23-87, Cody Bowlin 4-20, Jordan Chute 2-9, Jordan Singleton 2-6, Josh Nichols 1-4, Travis Inman 6-(-1), Justin Goins 1-(-15). Harlan County, McMillian 17-129, Middleton 5-67, Brewer 11-58, Chitwood 2-23, Chorak 5-20, Smith 2-4, Saylor 1-(-17).

 

PASSING—Whitley County, Inman 2-6-1-33. Harlan County, Brewer 3-4-0-65.

 

RECEIVING—Whitley County, Goins 2-33. Harlan County, Maggard 2-64, Middleton 1-1

Glad to see Coach Larkey is confident. I agree too much was made of WC's improvement that I think it motivated HC. They do have a good chance to beat a good Pulaski team but just as HC has improved from the first meeting so has has PC. I'll take PC 34-18.

Another source of motivation was when #53 called the players out on their own home field as the teams were warming up.

Another source of motivation was when #53 called the players out on their own home field as the teams were warming up.

 

Kids are kids they run thier mouth all the time. I don't think that made as much a difference as the fact HC was just the better team, period.

It must have been a long time since you were a kid. They are motivated by that stuff more than you think. Emotion doesn't last all night in a ball game but it does play a role in the beginning.

I was way off on this one. Congrats to the Black Bears and good luck this week.

It must have been a long time since you were a kid. They are motivated by that stuff more than you think. Emotion doesn't last all night in a ball game but it does play a role in the beginning.

 

After the first minute the only thing that matters is who is better and HC was clearly better.

I agree completely. That is why I said in the beginning. The first few minutes were very important the other night.

I agree completely. That is why I said in the beginning. The first few minutes were very important the other night.

 

I don't think 53's comments played as much a factor in the game as much as the over the top hype Whitley recieved coming into the game. HC is clearly the better team and hearing all week preceeding the game how good WC was I am sure got under thier skin.

Excellent point. Everyone was talking about their great improvement. Marcus McMillian from HC has improved more than anyone since that point. He had something to prove after Dylon Smith's great game vs. Whitley the first game. Plus as you inferred, the whole team had a little something to prove. It felt as if everyone was implying it was a fluke HC won the first one and Whitley was going to come in and kill them.

 

I never meant that 53's comments won the game for HC. I was just saying they seemed pretty fired up when it happened.

Excellent point. Everyone was talking about their great improvement. Marcus McMillian from HC has improved more than anyone since that point. He had something to prove after Dylon Smith's great game vs. Whitley the first game. Plus as you inferred, the whole team had a little something to prove. It felt as if everyone was implying it was a fluke HC won the first one and Whitley was going to come in and kill them.

 

I never meant that 53's comments won the game for HC. I was just saying they seemed pretty fired up when it happened.

 

It certainly probably added some fuel to a fire that was already burning. Personally, I hate trash talking like that. Play the fridging game and be a good sport. I never did any talking when I played. I let my play do the talking.

Heard that. I hope none of our guys talked back.

Heard that. I hope none of our guys talked back.

 

You don't see that stuff from Larkey coached teams. He ran a great program at the CASTLE and is doing the same at Harlan. It will be a matter of time before he grabs that elusive State Title.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.