Russell 48 Fleming County 8

ryanparker

Russell moves to 4-3 and 2-0 in their district with the win. A few things stood out to me as I listened to this one:

Russell is largely a junior and sophomore dominated team. The next 2 years for Russell football, particularly next year, look to be the best they've had since their 2005-2006 teams. They'll have a senior and junior class full of solid and experienced players next season.

It's good to see sophomore Googie Hayes doing more and more as the year progresses. He caught a TD, ran for one, and then threw for one as well. I suspect he's going to be a pretty good QB for this team for the next couple of years.

It's also good to see junior Logan Dehoff step up with a couple of TD runs. This guy is a good player who is only a "mean streak" away from being a very good player. He's going to need to be heard from on both sides of the ball because...

Russell played this one without junior starters Luke Bailey and Justin Davidson. In fact, I saw on another site that Davidson may be out for the season. If true, that hurts this Russell team as he was what many would have considered to be their best player. I just hope he's back for basketball as he's the only proven post player they've got.

All in all it seemed like a good win for Russell and a good way to go into the Mason County game. The district title and home field advantage for an extra round of the playoffs will be settled this coming week at Russell. Mason County is good, but a Russell win wouldn't be that far fetched if Russell shows up to play an inspired game.