13th Region Rankings (5/11)

What a week it has been in the 13th. A lot of crazy things happening. That being said, here are my new top 5:

1. Middlesboro (18-8, 9-1)- They took their first loss in regional play last week to Clay County. For what it is worth, I was told they pitched a freshman in an attempt to save their pitchers for the FIT while Clay pitched the Griffin kid. Like I said, take that for what it's worth. Regardless, they still have the best overall record and regional play record, in addition to having big wins over Corbin and Knox Central, both of whom seem to be major players at this point.

2. Corbin (17-13, 11-4)- They move up by default. While they did perform well this past weekend in Etown, they captured wins over two of the weakest teams in the region last week in Bell County and Barbourville. They have a big game today against Knox Central. I would imagine both pitching staffs are exhausted.

3. Knox Central (16-8, 12-4)- I never thought I'd be typing this but Knox has done pretty well recently. Yesterday, they beat Bell County and this past weekend, they captured a convincing win against Clay County.

4. Clay County (17-12, 8-4)- They get the nod over North Laurel because they have split and North Laurel has played awful these past two weeks. It was a huge win for Clay in beating Middlesboro last week but they had to be very disappointed to lose the Knox Central. We'll see how tough Clay County is this week when they face a very tough Hazard opponent followed by Corbin.

5. Whitley County (14-8, 9-3)- In the past two weeks, they took 2 of 3 from SL, as well securing a big home win against NL. They will host Middlesboro this week, followed by a trip to Knox Central. Both will be good contests.

OTHER:

North Laurel- They've lost 9 of their last 12 games. Albeit to stiff competition, but they need to find a way to win a few more of those games. If they go .500, they are still in the top 5.

Middlesboro loses to Williamsburg tonight behind the strong pitching performance of Andrew Root, 10-2. Root has beaten Bell Co. ( 2 hit shut out) and now Middlesboro after coming back from a hip injury. He seems to be picking up steam.