Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Volleyball Question

Featured Replies

Is there any requirement that the correct stats are kept on a Varsity v-ball team?

 

Made-up stats and unconventional stats do nothing for the player outside of their High School team and should certainly not happen in any sport so I am trying to see if there is any rules or regulations regarding it.

I don't think they are made up, but, I do question if the stat people know what an assist, kill, ace, block, etc. really are. I believe one year I read where a team had 4 players leading in kills, each with more than 10 a game. I'm not the best in math, but, I think that would be more than 25 points.

 

I don't think there is any state regulation on keeping stats, but, it wouldn't hurt to have a clinic about it.

Age old problem in all high school sports. Probably the only one where its not an issue (relatively) is football. Less subjective.

Age old problem in all high school sports. Probably the only one where its not an issue (relatively) is football. Less subjective.

 

It would be nice if say they required the freshman coach or a volleyball person to sit at the scorers table and do stats like in BB. At least it would be a person that is or should know the game. Not a young player that may not know or be easily distracted.

  • Author
I don't think they are made up, but, I do question if the stat people know what an assist, kill, ace, block, etc. really are. I believe one year I read where a team had 4 players leading in kills, each with more than 10 a game. I'm not the best in math, but, I think that would be more than 25 points.

 

I don't think there is any state regulation on keeping stats, but, it wouldn't hurt to have a clinic about it.

 

When I say made up - that is literal. In our school the coach has his own system that has nothing to do with the accepted stat process. I cringe when I read them in the paper because some of them should be in the world record book.

 

I agree with the clinic idea, but if they just refuse to do it then it does not matter. I think it is difficult during the game but that the best way to do it is use the game tape..that way you can back up and take a second look.

One stat that I can say that I've gotten yelled at by fans who had no idea how to rule something is when I am the PA announcer at the state tournament, Team A is serving and Team B is called for a rotation error. The correct ruling for statistical purposes is that the person who is serving for Team is awarded with an ace even if he/she serves it or not. I knew a little about the sport when I kept the book at Rockcastle County but have learned a great deal more now that I am up here at NKU.

It would be nice if say they required the freshman coach or a volleyball person to sit at the scorers table and do stats like in BB. At least it would be a person that is or should know the game. Not a young player that may not know or be easily distracted.

 

Trust me. That's not a volleyball issue. That's a high school sports issue.

One stat that I can say that I've gotten yelled at by fans who had no idea how to rule something is when I am the PA announcer at the state tournament, Team A is serving and Team B is called for a rotation error. The correct ruling for statistical purposes is that the person who is serving for Team is awarded with an ace even if he/she serves it or not. I knew a little about the sport when I kept the book at Rockcastle County but have learned a great deal more now that I am up here at NKU.

 

That is 100% true. An "overlap" or "out of rotation" is recorded as an ace for the serving team.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.