Jackson City 3 Breathitt Co. 1

Jackson City with the 55th District Championship 2 years in a row.......I thought Breathitt would have won this. Any Details from this one?

It was certainly a pitcher's duel. Boggs pitched for Jackson City, and Ritchie went for Breathitt. JC scored early and Breathitt had a couple of chances, but left too many on base.

The second baseman for Jackson City, Drew Davidson made two amazing defensive plays, one a diving catch on a pop-up in foul territory. He nearly landed in the fence when he caught the ball. He made another diving catch over his shoulder in right field with runners on base. He cost Breathitt at least one run on the play and may have been the difference in Jackson winning the game.

Davidson was a one man highlight film. You can't teach stuff like that; it's instinctive.

Finally, JCS kept their errors to a minimum and capitalized on Breathitt's errors. All Jackson's runs came in the first inning when Breathitt had 3 or more straight infield errors. After that, Ritchie took over and I'm not sure JCS runners ever got as far as third base again. 8th grader Boggs kept Breathitt off balance all night with his curve. I counted 7 K's, could have been more.

Breathitt has more athletes than Jackson, but I can't say they have better athletes. Jackson's boys just played up to their potential. Coach Combs motivates those boys the right way and they would run through a brick wall for him. There's a reason each of those boys hugged him when they accepted their trophies.

Davidson was a one man highlight film. You can't teach stuff like that; it's instinctive.

Finally, JCS kept their errors to a minimum and capitalized on Breathitt's errors. All Jackson's runs came in the first inning when Breathitt had 3 or more straight infield errors. After that, Ritchie took over and I'm not sure JCS runners ever got as far as third base again. 8th grader Boggs kept Breathitt off balance all night with his curve. I counted 7 K's, could have been more.

Breathitt has more athletes than Jackson, but I can't say they have better athletes. Jackson's boys just played up to their potential. Coach Combs motivates those boys the right way and they would run through a brick wall for him. There's a reason each of those boys hugged him when they accepted their trophies.

How's the baseball umpires in the 14th?

Edited by Ram
Rule 13