15th Region Tournament Recap and Championship Preview

Region Tournament:
Here’s a recap of the Region Tournament games played so far, and a look into the region championship. Been a great season so far, and the ending should be a great game between two 57th district teams.

Game 1: Pikeville 76 Lawrence County 65
Pikeville was led by Eli Johnson’s 25. Carter Hurley and Charlie Fitzer both added 17 as well. Pikeville took care of business to advance. Lawrence County hasn’t put their stats in so I can’t comment on that side of things. Lawrence was second in the RPI in the 15th region and finished with a record of 24-8. The Bulldogs lose Andrew Bloomfield, Blake Marcum, Logan Ratliff, and Ford Scaggs to graduation. 

Game 2: Martin County 67 Betsy Lane 60
The Cardinals were led in the win by Brayden McKenzie’s 25, Jacob Strugell’s 18, and Peyton Davis’s 11. There was no lull by Martin County which set up a big time semifinal with Pikeville. Betsy Lane was led by Carter Parsons’s 18, and Andrew Kidd’s 17 in the loss. They had a valiant effort, but just came up short. The Bobcats lose Grayson Hall, Tanner Hall, Landon Howell, Tanner Martin, Hunter Tackett, and Cole Wolford to graduation. Betsy Lane finished the season 17-16. 

Game 3: Floyd Central 68 Magoffin County 78
Floyd Central just wasn’t able to overcome a regular season loss to Magoffin and fell to the Hornets a second time. Floyd Central finished their year 16-14. The stats haven’t been posted yet so I can’t comment on those. However, The Jaguars lose Brody Buck, Aaron Case, Brandon Howell, Justin Johnson, Braden Moore, Dawson Moore, Ronnie Sammons, and Nathan Watkins to graduation. Magoffin also hasn’t posted their stats, but I’d be willing to say 15th region player of the year Aden Barnett had a monster game like he normally does! 

Game 4: Pike County Central 79 Johnson Central 87
This game produced the biggest upset to this point of the region. A lot of folks thought PCC would have the best chance to knock off Pikeville. However, Johnson Central had other plans. The Hawks finished their season at 20-9. They lose Blake Adams, and do it all Jaylan Rigdon to graduation. Johnson Central was led by Austin Slone in the big win as the super freshman put up 38. 

Game 5: Martin County 65 Pikeville 57
Martin County pulled off the upset of the region as they knocked off the 15th region favorite by 8. Pikeville won in the All A final by 11, but Martin County got them back when it counted. Pikeville has to feel like their season ended early as they finish at 22-5. They’ve yet to upload their stats from the game. They lose Kade Belcher, Charlie Fitzer, Josh Hughes, Carter Hurley, Heath Jarrell, Eli Johnson, and Jacob Rogers to graduation. 

Game 6: Magoffin County 77 Johnson Central 67
They say it’s hard to beat a good team more than once, but Magoffin proved they owned the Golden Eagles this year as they knocked them off a fourth time. I believe I saw somewhere that Aden Barnett had 31 in the win. For most, they’d say Johnson Central arrived a year early. JC finishes their year at 15-14 but what a run they went on. Freshman Austin Slone led the way in the loss with 34, and freshman Brayden Shepherd followed him up with 18. The Golden Eagles lose Tanner Castle and Ethan Meek to graduation. JC should be one of the favorites next season. 

15th Region Championship, Monday Night 7:00 at Appalachian Wireless Arena
Martin County (23-9) vs. Magoffin County (20-13)

Series in 2023-24: Martin went 3-0 this season winning by 4, 5, and 10
Series Overall in the Region Tournament (since 1997/98): Martin County leads 10-3
We have an all 57th district final. These teams have played three times this year, with Martin extending their lead each time a little bit more. If Magoffin is going to have a chance at winning, they’re going to have to find a way to contain the big three for Martin. Luke Hale, Brayden McKenzie, and Jacob Sturgell have all had big games for the Cardinals each time these teams have played. The Cardinals are going to need big games from all three again if they plan on cutting down the nets. On the flip side, to keep Magoffin from pulling off the upset, Martin is going to have to contain Aden Barnett. The first time these teams played he had 45, then he had 39, then he had 23. Barnett is going to need Zane Whitaker, Ethan Salyer, and Grayson Whitaker to all have big games too if they plan on pulling the upset. The 15th has been electric so far, and I don’t think this game has the option to be anything but electric as well. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Magoffin pulls the upset behind a monster game from Aden Barnett as they cut down the nets and head to state for their first time ever!

Rankings from the Region Teams:

1. Martin County  (23-9)

2. Magoffin County (20-13)

3. Pikeville (22-5)

4. Johnson Central (15-14)

5. Pike County Central (20-9)

6. Lawrence County  (24-8)

7. Floyd Central (16-14)

8. Betsy Lane (17-16)