Highlands 2 Conner 1

kyag

It was a tale of two halves in Fort Thomas tonight. 

Highlands get on the scoreboard early with a nice cross from the right side to the head of Gamble for the 1-0 lead. Highlands was spaced well attacking Conner often and moved the ball it seemed at will in the mid-field. Highlands attacks down the left side, get a cross off that deflects off 2 Conner defenders for the own goal. Conner looked a little defeated in the first half. Conner did have 2 good chances to draw even but shoot wide of the goal and over the goal. 

2nd half….in my homer opinion Conner controlled it. Conner had multiple chances at the goal, had a 1 v 1 with the keeper hit off the post, but the Cougars finally get one off a set play as Kellen Faulkner follows up the deflection for the goal. A Conner player quickly grabs the ball to take it back to half field for the kick-off and is, let’s say impeded by a Bluebird player. Conner player comes flying in to protect the fellow teammate…Bluebird on the ground and Fort Thomas faithful is hollering foul play against Conner. The AR and center ref meet to discuss what happened, yellow card awarded to Highlands and a yellow to Conner which was the correct call. Highlands seemed to slow the pace down which I think allowed Conner to keep pressing and get better opportunities. 

Highlands has some nice pieces and played very controlled in the 1st half. I really liked the changes Conner made at half and they clawed their way back in but just couldn’t get the tying goal.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1