BluegrassPreps.com Region 1 Review and Rankings

It's tough to know these early opponents so I was hesitant to make lots of changes in my rankings.  Here are this week's key games and the Week 1 rankings:

Key games this week:

Tues: Calloway at Graves, Marshall at Carlisle, Murray vs UHA, Tilghman at Henderson Co., Ballard Mem. at St. Mary

Thurs: McCracken at UHA

Fri: Marshall at Graves, Hickman at Carlisle, Murray at Muhlenberg Co., Tilghman at Christian Co.

Week 1 Rankings:

1. Murray (3-0) - W vs Hickman Co. 80-49, W vs Hopkinsville 73-53, W Montgomery Bell Academy 55-49  

No Grant Whitaker (hand injury) but no problems.  A very impressive win against a solid Hopkinsville team.  Lincoln English is holding the fort down with 17 ppg, and I also need to mention Z. Carman with 11 rebounds per game.

2. McCracken Co. (2-0) - W vs CCA 90-46, W Charleston, MO 76-72

I expected Ian Hart (22 ppg) and Jack McCune (19 ppg) to lead the way for the Mustangs.  Connor Miller also had an excellent game against Charleston, Mo.

3. Tilghman (1-1) - W vs Carlisle Co. 79-50, L New Madrid, Mo 54-61

I talked about the guard tandem of Shaw and Powell, and they have lived up to the billing so far.  The Carlisle game was very close at half, but the Tornado pulled away in the second half. Interested to see if any of the bigs for Tilghman can step up this season.

4. Mayfield (0-0) - Coach Croft anticipated a deep run by his football guys and he was correct.  Great football season by the Cardinals - came up just a bit short.  An inspirational season!

5. Calloway Co. (2-1)- W vs Livingston Co. 79-50, W at Hopkins Co. Central 69-55, L Massac Co. 68-74

Sophomore Eli Finley is averaging over 30 points per game.  I am moving him up in my Region 1 PoY rankings.

6. Graves Co. (1-1) - W vs Hickman Co. 70-56, L Evangel Christian 51-72

A comfortable win over Hickman.  The Eagles have two interesting 1st Region matchups this week.  They host Calloway on Tuesday and then Marshall on Friday.  We will get a good idea of where they are after this upcoming week.

7. Marshall Co. (3-0) - W vs Crittenden Co. 66-29, W vs Clarksville Acad. 68-59, W vs Christian Academy Louisville 57-49

Wade Moore is leading the way with 15 PPG.  The Marshals also have two Region 1 matchups this week.  They travel to Carlisle on Tuesday and then to Graves on Friday.

8. Ballard Memorial (1-1) - W vs CCA 84-73, L at Lawrenceville, IL 56-69

The win against CCA will be important in these Region 1 rankings.  Jace Birney scored 27 points in that game.

9. Carlisle Co. (1-1) - W at St. Mary 56-53, L at Tilghman 50-79

I did not expect the Comets to go to St. Mary and get the win.  Another chance for an upset when the Marshals visit this week.

10. Hickman Co. (1-2) - L at Murray 49-80, L at Graves 56-70, W vs St. Mary 64-59

I had the St. Mary Vikings rated pretty highly in my preseason rankings and maybe I didn't give the 1st District the respect it deserves.  Kelen Johnson is scoring 18 points per game for Hickman Co.

11. St. Mary (1-2)

12. Fulton Co. (2-0)

13. CCA (1-2)

14 Christian Fellowship (0-2)

15. Fulton City (0-2) 

• Like 3