Alumni Home Run Derby Fundraiser: Best Practices & Format???

I am in the very beginning stages of trying to organize an alumni home run derby for a fundraiser for our high school baseball team. Was wondering if anyone else has done this before at your high school? If so, what format did you go with? What format do you think works best for this type of event? What time of year did you have it? What time of year do you think would be best to have it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My high school used to do this as part of an alumni game. The event was always in October, and each player had to pay $40 to participate. Sponsors were also solicited for the event, and admission charged. The Derby was held the night before (a Friday night) and the game was on Saturday, followed by a afterparty event at a local hangout. The derby format was 10 swings in round one and the top 5 advanced to finals, where each player got 10 more swings, and if there was a tie, all tied players got an additional 5 swings. In the three years I participated, no ties ever happened. It was a fun event, however, the district shut it down after 5 years for liability reasons. That's probably the biggest issue you may face....may not be as big a deal if you're only doing a Derby. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

My high school used to do this as part of an alumni game. The event was always in October, and each player had to pay $40 to participate. Sponsors were also solicited for the event, and admission charged. The Derby was held the night before (a Friday night) and the game was on Saturday, followed by a afterparty event at a local hangout. The derby format was 10 swings in round one and the top 5 advanced to finals, where each player got 10 more swings, and if there was a tie, all tied players got an additional 5 swings. In the three years I participated, no ties ever happened. It was a fun event, however, the district shut it down after 5 years for liability reasons. That's probably the biggest issue you may face....may not be as big a deal if you're only doing a Derby. 

Greatly appreciate your response & information, that helps me out a ton. Thank you!