Oldham County at DeSales Predictions/Updates

WHO:   Two top 15 teams, Oldham County vs. DeSales

WHEN:   Weather-permitting(!)   Thursday, 2/18/21   7:30 PM start

WHERE: DeSales HS

BROADCAST(?):   We are still confirming with DeSales - and of course, the weather may intervene - but Pegasus Sports hopes to broadcast this game.    Free live video coverage would begin at 7 pm on www.pegasussportsky.com     (write your congressman, er, favorite DeSales administrator and ask them to allow us to broadcast...  😄)

In 42 years of broadcasting HS sports in the metro Louisville area, I've never done a game - football or basketball - at DeSales.   Earlier this year, I did my first-ever game at Butler; hoping to get another first this Thursday at DeSales if the administration is willing.   (Some schools have been understandably leery of allowing extra people in the gym in the form of a three man broadcasting team, which I totally understand.    Got my fingers crossed, but I'll understand completely if we are turned down.)

Oldham County is 6-2 after a solid win over Jeffersontown on Saturday.    The Colonels are at full strength again, with point guard Grant "Money" Gibson back healthy, which has had a ripple effect on the Colonel roster, allowing Sam Campbell to move back to the two guard spot, which is more his natural position.    Deaton Oak has burst out of his slump and has led the Colonels in scoring for the last four games, and the bench is contributing in big ways, particularly with the shooting of junior Sam Powell.   The subs contributed 26 points against Jeffersontown in the Colone's win on Saturday.

DeSales (10-4) has played a lot more games than Oldham, and the Colts have made their mark this season against an absolutely brutal schedule.   DeSales owns victories over powerhouses CAL, Owensboro Catholic, St. X, Male, and Fern Creek.   DeSales' four losses were narrow defeats to strong teams (Ballard by just 5, Trinity by 3, Covington Catholic by 6, and Elizabethtown by 3).    When the new BluegrassPreps rankings come out on 2/15, I expect the Colts to be in the top 10.

The Colts figure to be the favorites in this one.    Shooting 53% from the field and 72.2% from the line, the Colts' offense puts a lot of pressure on opposing defenses.    Devin Perry (19.8 ppg) and Sekou Kalle (18.8 ppg / 10.5 rebounds) led the way and provide quite the 1-2 punch.   Kalle is hitting an unworldly 73% from the floor (108 of 148) and Perry provides a legitimate three point threat at 38.1% (24 makes).

• Like 1

Well, Oldham's Tuesday game went by the wayside thanks to the snow.   As of now, Thursday's matchup with DeSales is still on....hoping Wednesday's snowfall will be on the light side....perhaps we can get this one in.

Oldham County faces #6 DeSales, #3 Covington Catholic, and #10 Eastern in their next three games.   This is a tremendous opportunity for the Colonels to measure themselves against the state's elite.   Should make for some great basketball.

Pegasus Sports is still hoping to broadcast this game, but we are awaiting confirmation from the DeSales A.D.   We will definitely be broadcasting the Eastern game.  

47 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

Pegasus will not be broadcasting tomorrow's game.

I probably should clarify....PSN had scheduled Oldham - DeSales on Thursday, and South Oldham vs. Simon Kenton Friday.    If South-SK is played, PSN will be there, as originally scheduled.

If South-SK gets cancelled, and the DeSales-Oldham game is still on, PSN hopes to do the DeSales-Oldham game.