Snowy upcoming weekend

nWo

Look for locally intense snow showers at times, beginning late Friday afternoon in southern Indiana and west of I-65 in Kentucky, and expanding east across Kentucky in the evening. Quick snow accumulations on roadways and locally reduced visibilities will be possible at times, potentially resulting in travel impacts, especially as pavement and air temperatures drop. 

Intermittent snow showers will continue for much of the weekend, with the potential to impact travel again later Saturday night into Sunday morning.  

I will post more information by tomorrow morning.

thumbnail_LMK-Tab3_01_14_2021_1526_55L.thumb.png.bc6794eeb26d0048da0965b7ae75fc38.png

• Thanks 1

Some have a decent chance of getting some accumulating snow this weekend. Here are what the different models are showing. These totals are through Monday morning at 7 am EST.

The NAM:

snku_acc.us_ov.thumb.png.ccc20db0a30a6b62490b0784eef24466.png

The GFS:

501019612_snku_acc.us_ov(1).thumb.png.085b68c01c2200e3fac2288ef1e70262.png

The Canadian:

670639743_snku_acc.us_ov(3).thumb.png.987c40b3f09cde2f1a2971f453ab2d35.png

The Euro:

1540277937_snku_acc.us_ov(2).thumb.png.ee65302fd0afd7fa1164f008a884b348.png

I'm calling for a general 1-3 inches. Some could see some intense snow showers this afternoon. Watch for quickly reduced visibilities and minor accumulations with the stronger snow showers. There could be some locally higher amounts.

This map shows where the system will see the most effect as of this morning. The areas in the yellow could see the most impact from the possible snow. I will update later today.

WSSI_Overall_LMK.png.5f697f3dab6dbf0999e86b47add6c492.png

Update I just received from the National Weather Service-Louisville office.

Just a quick update on the winter weather potential this weekend.   

This Evening:  Scattered snow showers could briefly be locally intense, resulting in poor visibility. Well after sunset, when temperatures have cooled, there could also be quick accumulation on road surfaces. A few of these snow showers could be intense enough to be considered snow squalls. This threat is anywhere in the area, mainly from 6 PM until midnight. 

Overnight into Sat Morning:  Snow showers will continue off and on, with minor accumulation possible. The best chance for accumulations around 1 inch will be in Kentucky, south of I-64 and east of I-65  A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for this area tonight through midday Saturday 

Saturday Night into Sunday:  Another round of scattered snow showers is possible from late Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning. These snow showers will not be as intense as what is expected tonight, so we're only expecting a dusting of snow for most.  A few slick spots will still be possible.